Piston type Water Pump

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jormas

Reaction score
Hi
I just finished a OLDS 1/2 Hit and Miss engine from BREISCH castings.
It would be nice to have a Piston type Water Pump to go along with it.
Does anyone know a manufacturer for castings or drawings?

jormas

I added one to a model 1895 Mery I built. I added a second eccentric with about 3/8" bore & stroke and used stainless steel balls for in/out valves. On the suction stroke it lifts one ball and draws the other closed, then the opposite on the output stroke. No castings needed, just a block of brass/bronze and 2 ea. 1/8" or 3/16" stainless balls.

Just look for a hand power boiler feed pump, then instead of hand pumping, add a crank and let the engine do the work. They can get up to rather large pressures as they have to overcome boiler pressure to work.

As mentioned above, they are very easy to design and make.

latest

Try here for a basic unit

http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/a...all-boiler-feed-water-pump__o_t__t_67501.html

John

Last edited:
Morrison & Marvin do drawings for a Goulds #4 ram pump and you could also try Maury at Lone Star Engine Works as he has been working on castings for a Goulds "Challenge" double acting pump. Both of these would look right being driven by a hit & miss engine.

Hi I am not looking for a piston feed pump. The Goulds "Challenge" double acting pump is the kind I'm looking for. Thank you Jasonb

Maury should have castings for the pump. If you are interested here is a link to some of the work that Maury and I have done on our pumps. I modeled the pump to go along with the Pacific Vapor engine but you should be able to design a gear drive to run it with your Olds.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,4116.0.html

Dave

Hi
I just finished a OLDS 1/2 Hit and Miss engine from BREISCH castings.
It would be nice to have a Piston type Water Pump to go along with it.
Does anyone know a manufacturer for castings or drawings?

jormas

Bit different to what you asked for in the first place. Then -

Hi I am not looking for a piston feed pump.

Time and trouble wasted. Don't know why we bother.

Last edited:
OK I give; what exactly is a piston feed water pump, if it is not like the Goulds pump which uses a piston to pump the water?

Dave

Never mind; I went back and re-read the posts and new realize that you were talking about a (boiler type) feed pump.

Dave

Thats how I read the question, you wanted a scale pump that could be driven by the engine either belted or geared and it was to be a piston type rather than a pumpjack or diaphram trench pump, rather than a small water pump often used for feeds etc

Hi all
Sorry about the confusion. My mistake, I was not familiar with the terms. What I ment was a scale pump that could be driven by the engine by belted and it was to be a piston type rather than a pumpjack or diaphram trench pump.
Jasonb got my meaning, perhaps he red between the lines. My intention was not to start an argument.
My native language is Finnish, you have to exuse me.

Jorma Sulin
Finland

No Arguments Jorma, and I do understand that is is not your first language.

Maybe next time, just a few exact words would have been much better.

What you must realise is that the members on here will bend over backwards to help, and ask for nothing in return.

But as I did, and most probably a couple of other people as well spent a fair amount of time finding pictures and links to what was thought what you wanted, so it was wasted time more than anything else.

There are many other examples of such things happening, which could be made much easier by the member asking the question just taking a little more time to research and tell us EXACTLY what is required. The usual ones are 'what lathe, mill, or any other tooling should I buy' with no mention of available funds or space to fit the things into.
I have been following one on another site about a person asking what mill they should buy. All that happens is that everyone kicks in and says 'I bought such and such a mill and it works perfectly for me' but the chap asking the question just doesn't have the funds or space for a Bridgeport.

This is where wasting a persons time comes into it, say 100 people reply, if it takes each one 15 minutes to get things to answer and post their results, that is a lot of wasted time that could be used for answering a question that is more critical.

Don't worry about it

John

While I fully realize the problems that a question lacking all the requirements can cause, please cut folks like Jormas a break.

Think how difficult phrasing a question --in Finnish -- would be for you (and me TOO!)

Gronk

PS a good reason for members to fill in their location on their profiles so that it appears under their name,

Last edited:
I ordered a Goulds "Challenge" Double Acting Force Pump Casting Kit from maurys Lone Star Engine Works. Thank You for the info Jasonb.
Maury sent the Kit one day after he got the payment, and after a week from that I received the Casting Kit from our Post Office. Very quick indeed. Of course the tracking code and information from USPS helped a lot to get the parcel cleared through the customs right away.
Here is a picture of the build after one week of machine work.

jormas

After 1 veek.jpg

You are making fast progress with the pump, good to see you got sorted out. Keep us posted of your progress

Maury should have castings for the pump. If you are interested here is a link to some of the work that Maury and I have done on our pumps. I modeled the pump to go along with the Pacific Vapor engine but you should be able to design a gear drive to run it with your Olds.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,4116.0.html

Dave

Dave
I had a quick look on the link you gave. Don't see any pictures, although the text comes up OK.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Dave you may have to be signed in to see the pictures; I just checked and they are all there.

Jormas, very nice work on your pump! Looking forward to seeing more progress pictures.

Dave

Dave, its the same problem you have with my pictures. For some reason you are not able to view Photobucket hosted images. Try borrowing another persons computer or connecting via another source as it may be something blocking them. You are missing out on so much:(

Back