Piston ring heating

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
What temperature do you use for heating piston rings? Trimble says 1400° Others say 1100° and I just read Chaddock says 950°
I have an old kiln which means that I can control the temperature. What have others been using?

I do 1100F for 3 hours. Got that information from a metallurgist who was a guest speaker at one of our metal club meetings. Explained in exact detail why it needed to be that temperature and for that long. Only understood 15% of what he said but I do it that way and have never been disappointed.

Thanks. I have been using 1100° also. I have not paid much attention to the time but the kiln stays hot for a long time and I have always left them in the kiln to cool so it is probably close to 3 hours. I just read the Chaddock instructions and he said that 950° was ideal and anything over 1000° was too much. I just did the last set of rings at 950° and they are not fully annealed and the gap springs back. I have extra rings so I will probably put them back in the kiln at 1100°,

Method I use is to stack a group of cast iron rings together and clamp between 2 end disc washers made of approx. 1/2" thick mild steel.
A through bolt 1/4" holds everything together.
Sit the unit on a house brick and heat to red heat with a butane torch for 15 minutes and let cool naturally.
Works just fine.

I've been stress relieving rings for three hours at 1100F, then letting the furnace cool overnight. The rings are bare, in a Trimble fixture
and I've seen no problems with scaling at these temperatures.

Chuck

Back