Piston Material and Ring Sizing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am making an I.C. engine with 1" bore. It is a contraption that I have dreamed up, thus no plans to refer to. I have two problems.

Problem #1, ring width. Using Maryak's spreadsheet, I calculate the ring width for a 1" piston to be .083". I say "I calculate" because the spreadsheet downloads as a .jpg so I calculated the ring width example as being a function of bore diameter and applied that to 1" bore. His bore was 1.127 and ring width was .094" (or close to that), so my .083 seems reasonable. However, I downloaded his Hit and Miss engine plans which uses a 1" bore. It uses .040" wide rings. Now I don't want to sound picky, but the difference between .083 and .040 is not ignorable. Suggestions?

Piston material. I am in the process of making the piston out of a slug of aluminum, exact alloy unknown. Dad rescued it from the recycler 30 years, probably an escapee from an extruder. Machines beautifully with crisp chips, but at the same time, seems to be pretty soft. I have scratched it by doing a test insertion into the bore. I have a slug of Meehanite for the rings (exact alloy also unknown, no idea where Dad found it), should I use it also for the piston?

Oh yes. The cylinder is an unknown alloy of free machining magnetic SS and has finished quite well. It's damn hard to say "No" to "Free".

Bill

Latest posts

Back