pipe lagging in steam engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max corrigan

Reaction score
What do you normally use to lag copper pipes i seem to get a lot of water spitting from the exhaust i think maybe it is cooling in the feed tube, so lagging may help, or is there another reason? this was happening before i fitted a displacement oiler so i don't think it is that!
Regards Max....................

I have used cotton string painted after wrapped with white heat resistance paint.
Regards,
Gerald.

Gerald thanks for your reply, next question, what is cotton string, where would would i find it, DIY? and i presume you super glue the ends after carfully wrapping the string around the pipe! does that sound about right?
Many thanks for your reply
Regards Max.............

You should be able to get it at just about any supermarket - it's the white stuff that you use for trussing chooks etc ready for the oven.

Max,

Poking my nose into where I have no specific expertise! :D

Super glue releases at a particular temperature so might not be suitable for securing the ends of your wound string.

I would try a simple whipping similar to what can be done to ends of rope to prevent fraying:

http://www.geocities.com/allan_frbs/pioneeringscout.html
http://www.animatedknots.com/sailors/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

If done carefully you could hide the end behind the pipe so it cannot be seen and it also serves to keep the string tight.

If you want to get the string really tight and have room to rotate a lever you could knock yourself up a serving mallet to get extra tension:

http://www.swanseaheritage.net/article/gat.asp?ARTICLE_ID=372&PRIMARY_THEME_ID=2

Of use perhaps not, of interest perhaps maybe.

Al

PS I have had my pioneering badge and also pioneering instructor since 1981. ;D

I some times use PTFE tape over the top then it can be wiped clean, it also holds it on a bit better as when you glue the ends it can break down with extream heat. I have heard of people using tip ex over the top of the string as well .

Peter

Thanks everyone who replied there's a useable tip in each posting
Tel
i guessed it was that sort of string suggested by Gerald i was thinkinking more in the terms of steak& kidney pudding type string (what you would use for the steaming) same thing as you are suggesting i think
DD
i like the sailors whip (no nothing kinky) type of start and ending
HS93
I remember reading about PTFE tape somewhere but can't see how it would stay stuck at the end, but the tippex idea sound good, but unlike the PTFE could not be wiped clean
Thanks Again! shall start lagging as soon as get me chook (chicken)string
Regards Max...........

Have a word with your local butcher (not supermarket)
They use it for rolled roasts etc.

My local butcher sold me a roll at cost which I've used for decorative knotwork etc.
Cost me about $10
That was 20 years ago and I still have half a roll :D

Interesting ideas. I've been thinking about lagging as a way to disguise copper tubing and turn it into something that looks more like an iron pipe steam line. For that I probably need some pseudo-asbestos. ;) The string wrap might do though. I've got some white heat-shrink tubing that would be a nice cover for it, but I'm not sure how authentic an appearance that would be.

Anybody have ideas for "scale appearance" lagging, vs. practical effective lagging?

Hi

You might try raiding somebody's sewing box... get your hands on some some cotton "seam binding tape" (available in various widths in multiples of 1/4" here). I have installed some by first soaking it in white glue cut with water. Disclaimer: never used it on anything that has actually had steam running, so I have no idea how it would stand up to the heat. Can't show you a pic as the project that was on is no longer in my possession.

Cheers, Joe

I can still find cotton sting in some hardware stores, failing that at the price of steak the Butcher should throw in a part roll. I bought a pint of white Heat resistant paint at a Auto Engine custom shop some years back. I wrap the copper pipes with the string finishing it off with cotton thread. I then give it a couple of coats of the paint (which is fairly thick), it then resembles pipe wrapped with the asbestos covering (which has cotton wrap painted on it)
Regards,
Gerald

I've used cotton or linen cord-wrapped piping for quite a few years. To secure the bitter ends I simply pull them tight into the last coil and dab the two with a bit of clear polyurethane varnish, wait for it to dry, and nip off the ends flush with a razor blade. That has held just fine and after it dries it's virtually invisible.

STBEAM4.jpg

STBEAM4.jpg

Max
Not to burst any bubbles, but the water thing is pretty much part of the steam experience. The darned stuff keeps cooling and condensing despite all efforts to make it stay steam...(grin). The best lagging look I've found is twisted cotton twine.... it looks like tiny rope and simulates the old nautical style of insulation that was often used. It's also much more attractive than some of the simulations of asbestos that I've encountered. I usually stain mine with tea to give it the look of hemp rope.

Steve

I use the 1/16" diameter cotton chaulk line twine on my boat ( 160 psig) covered with a thinned layer of gypsum joint compound ( for fixing holes in your plaster walls...get a tub at the home center) put on with a disposable chip brush. I then paint the pipe to make it somewhat water proof....looks good.

White for working steam or feed lines...though I painted the engine exhaust lagging green as it goes with the brass better.

My Lines run from 5/16" copper up to 1" copper.

For smaller lines, try smaller twine. I found that the line needs to be a good bit smaller than the pipe.

Dave

NOPE

Make sure it's good and dry before you paint it/

Rain can raise a little hell with it sometimes....as well as leaks....but it's easy to repair.

P9150039.jpg

Dave

Yes very possible to use...but not really necessary...

All the steam pipes on my boat at 160 psi get no hotter than 377 F. cotton string and gypsum covered in paint do hold up very well.....putting it on can be theraputic ;D

Cheap as dirt too.

Dave

Hi folks after the wrap i crazy glue then paint with white let dry,AND MAKE STEAM THE PAINT HOLDS EVERYTHING QUITE NICE HAVE FUN OK ANDY

Back