PING...DICKEYBIRD

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brass_Machine

Reaction score
Dickeybird....

Dunno if it has been covered as I can't seem to find it here, but the picture of the engine in your avatar... I would like some more info on it. It looks like you have a generator and a light?? Got any more pictures or videos?

Eric

Hi Eric, sorry 'bout the slow response. Here's some pictures of my "Emergency Generator." It's a modified version of the Finger Engine article in HSM. I added ball-bearings to the crankshaft and some other mods.

You might find the flywheel interesting; I made it from separate parts, ie: a hub, an outer rim and 8 - 1/4" drill-rod spokes. Couldn't resist using my new (at the time) spin-indexer. Oh, yeah, I rolled up a brass ring to go around the outside to hide the spoke ends.

The "generator" is a 24v pm motor from an old inkjet printer. It was the only one that would crank out enough voltage to light up the Radio Shack L.E.D. I don't have any video unfortunately. That technology still escapes me.

FEngineSmGen3.jpg

FEngineSmGen1.jpg

FEngineLeversSm.jpg

FEngineParts.jpg

FingerFlywheelSmall.jpg

FingerFlywheelPartsSmall.jpg

DICKEYBIRD, interesting spin (no pun intended!) on the flywheel you have there. Very nice work on the whole piece, BTW. In the avitar, I thought that the flywheel was a casting and really didn't look that close. It proves that if one doesn't pay attention, a lot can be over looked! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Brass_Machine, thanks for bringing this up. Some good ideas here that at least I managed to miss. ::)

I'm going to have to get off my duff and build one of these ;D Did you have a propeller on it? I think I see the end of it in one of your pictures?

Wonderful bit of engineering there D.
It just goes to show that with a bit of imagination great things appear.

John

Powder keg said:
Did you have a propeller on it? I think I see the end of it in one of your pictures?
Yup, when I had just finished the engine, it seemed pointless for it to do no work whatsoever so I grafted on an old antique Top Flite nylon 8x6 propeller. My other hobby/affliction/obsession is designing and building model aircraft so I posted pictures on my favorite model aircraft forum of the engine with the prop on it as a joke.:)

....and thanks guys for the kind comments, I appreciate it. I consider myself a cobbler amongst you guys but I'm working on it!

Well if you're a cobbler, you can make me a pair of boots anytime.

John

Out standing project!!! I have been taking a part old printers and saving all the guts for projects myself. I have seen others use the motors for generators in the past and have been wondering if any of the ones I have salvage will work for me.

Don't worry about the slow response. That is a pretty cool build! I like it a lot. The flywheel is very inspiring.

Thanks for sharing.

Eric

I finally found this pic. It's an early lathe project of mine and my 1st use of the spin indexer to make the spoked wheels. That's where the built-up flywheel idea came from. It has 12 spokes though.:)
cannon2.jpg

Here's a pic of the little roller I built to roll the brass outer rings with. I made it from pictures of one I saw on Micro-Mark's website. I used HDPE for the frame instead of aluminum.

Looking at the picture reminds me that I need to go back and install ball bearings on the upper roller. It binds up under load and you have to "help" the stock to keep it moving.
roller1.jpg

Latest posts

Back