Quantcast

Photographs missing from older topics

Help Support HMEM:

ned100

Reaction score
i have found a few topics of interest and thought I had found what i was looking for, but when I get to the thread, i find that all the posts are there, BUT ALL THE PHOTOGRAPHS ARE REPLACED BY A BOX SAYING THE PICS HAD BEEN REMOVED.

Very frustrating.

Is there a reason for this????

microcraft

Reaction score
The original poster probably used an external photo hosting site and either didn't renew his contract with them and they deleted his account or the owner deleted them off his account at the hosting site to save space. I'm new to HMEM, but this is a very common problem to all the forums I am a member of.

It's best if people can upload their images to the HMEM site itself that way they are there for as long as HMEM stays afloat.

dieselpilot

Reaction score
There was a lot of fallout when the site was sold a while back. That is the end result of a few members disagreement with the new owner's policies.

idahoan

Reaction score
I lost all my photos when Web Shots sold out to Smile; I moved all my build photos to Photo Bucket then went back and fixed all the broken links.

Just the other night I took the time to upload and replace all the missing pictures from my Morrison & Marvin model makers vise build, located here;
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f23/one-more-morrison-marvin-model-builders-vise-16291/

I think at this time I'm up to date; but dieselpiolet is correct most of the missing pictures were probably removed by the original poster.

Dave

Path

Reaction score
Dave ,

So far I can't your link to work ... it just "connecting ...":(

Pat H.

Path

Reaction score
Pat,

Thanks for the followup. I tried again ... it took about 3 minutes to get page 1 of 2.
No sure what's going on ... just to respond to this post took about a minute for the reply page to show up. Normally it is a few seconds.

Later,

Pat H.

rodw

Reaction score
I think a lot of people just upload files to photobucket straight out of their camera and they run out of space so they are forced to do a cleanup along the way and delete photos. I have always down sampled my photos with Irfanview before uploading and have hundreds, probably thousands of photos there which are linked to all sorts of forums and I have never run out of space on photobucket. My new camera takes 36 mp photos so down sampling is really necessary. Today I use Adobe Lightroom to do this.

idahoan

Reaction score
Hi Rod,

What size do you make your photos? I also use Irfanview view and usually use 1024 X 768 they seem to display well on the forum but being relatively new to Photo Bucket I hadn't considered their space limit.

Dave

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
External hosts can be iffy on keeping photos online so we enabled attachments 6 months or so ago, now you all can upload photos direct into threads and there will be no future loss.

rhitee93

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Do the attached photos come in as thumbnails like they did a year ago, or do they show up "Full sized" in the thread? The only reason I started using photobucket is because it is easier to view the thread without having to click on all the thumbnails.

rodw

Reaction score
Hi Rod,

What size do you make your photos? I also use Irfanview view and usually use 1024 X 768 they seem to display well on the forum but being relatively new to Photo Bucket I hadn't considered their space limit.

Dave
Usually either 800x600 0r 640x480. 1024x768 seems to be too big for some forums to display correctly.

I organise my photos into folders (eg. lathe) and make a folder called LoRes below it and use Irfanview (but now Adobe Lightroom (as it allows me to crop and the like) and downsample using batch processing copies into the loRes folder. I then upload them into to a corresponding Photobucket folder.

Years ago I made the mistake of deleting the high res photos of boring (to most people) forum photos from my HDD to save space. Then I was asked to write some magazine articles (a paying job) and would have loved to have had the high res photos as the mag had to print them as small thumbnails. Now I keep the high res ones too!

the other problem you can have is that you then might want to reorganise your Photobucket folder structure which in turn breaks all of your forum links so you need to be methodical when first uploading your photobucket assets!

idahoan

Reaction score
Thanks Rod

Is the Adobe Light Room a purchased program? If I need to crop I use Microsoft Picture manager; so it would be nice to have a single solution.

I agree with Brian I don't like to have to open thumb nails to see the pictures. I also like to be able to put text between my pictures (captions); can this be done if one uploads directly to the HMEM site?

Dave

rodw

Reaction score
Thanks Rod

Is the Adobe Light Room a purchased program? If I need to crop I use Microsoft Picture manager; so it would be nice to have a single solution.

I agree with Brian I don't like to have to open thumb nails to see the pictures. I also like to be able to put text between my pictures (captions); can this be done if one uploads directly to the HMEM site?

Dave
Yes, it is only about $100 now. It used to be about $300 but it has come down. It is very powerful if you know what you are doing and is very good cataloging, importing and archiving your photos (ie makes duplicates as a backup on import). It has many of the features of Adobe Photoshop (and more) but it applies changes nondestructively so that the original file always remains untouched. It knows all about specific cameras and lenses so it can auto correct. It's export function integrates with some photo sharing websites and there is a third party Photoshop plugin for it so it could be configured to export straight to Photobucket. Have a look on Adobe's web site and if you want to know more check out some of the Product video tutorials on adobe TV.

Having LR is a spinoff from one of my other hobbies, photography. My Nikon D800 camera is worth nearly double the value of the lathe I am purchasing before I put a lens on it and one of my lenses is about the same value as the lathe.

Latest posts