PHOTO bucket

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that normal users should never erase original content because they've uploaded to an external host. I use 3 point retention - my PC's hard disk, an external hard drive permanently hooked up to my PC for quick access (very important or I never get around to backing up) and external hosting (like youtube, photobucket, cloud, etc. and soon to be my own server). The two hard disks guard against physical hardware failure and nasty malware attacks, while the external hosting guards against fire, theft, etc.
Be careful here: Having an attached external hard disk will NOT protect you from malware, especially ransomware, where the hard drives are encrypted.
If you want to protect your data, perform a backup then disconnect the external disk drive.

Be careful here: Having an attached external hard disk will NOT protect you from malware, especially ransomware, where the hard drives are encrypted.
If you want to protect your data, perform a backup then disconnect the external disk drive.

You're absolutely right and you've now made me paranoid :hDe: as not everything is backed up on the cloud (for security reasons my critically private stuff will never be uploaded). I'll be doing a proper backup and disconnect very shortly so I can sleep tonight...

The main advantage of using an offsite hoster is that you can put your images anywhere within your post, whereas with onsite hosting you are usually limited to a line of pictures with no text to describe what you are doing. Plus, if everyone started to upload pictures to the site, it would soon become bloated and start to get unwieldy and slow.

I know I can now continue using PB for another 18 Months without losing any of my posted pictures until then, giving time for me to find somewhere else to host, but after that time, most, if not all pictures will have disappeared from every post on here that relied on PB.

This is a major problem with this site, you cannot go back and edit your old posts to put the pictures back if you do find somewhere else to host them, and unless that issue gets addressed quickly, this site will be an empty shell with plenty of words, but little or no pictures within the next year or so, with no way for us to resurrect it.

Survival rests with admin allowing us access and us 'fixing things' in our old posts.

Has anyone got a better solution to this disaster?

John

Please see the thread I started showing how to have text with photos in between, then test it. It is very easy with this software.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=26935

This is a major problem with this site, you cannot go back and edit your old posts to put the pictures back if you do find somewhere else to host them, and unless that issue gets addressed quickly, this site will be an empty shell with plenty of words, but little or no pictures within the next year or so, with no way for us to resurrect it.

I saw this thread in the Announcement and Support forum: http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=26922

But that does not mention anyone wanting any of the things mentioned in this thread. How many would want permission to edit old threads to fix their posts with the images from your computer and not Photobucket.

I really am sorry I did not read this earlier as I just thought the title was basic fussing, and did not have hidden requests for HMEM within it. And you are correct, this effects every forum I've been on since they started this. And even blogs, etc.

How many would want to edit their old threads to fix the image problem?

Thank you very much Angie, I am sorry I had to push rather nastily sometimes, but until everyone pushes, and people listen, only then do things get resolved.

It now looks like the dream is starting to get slowly sorted for the contributors on here, and I am sure that with admins helps, most problems can be overcome.

John

How many would want to edit their old threads to fix the image problem?

Angie

Some will some won't, a number won't be aware they could and no doubt there will be a number who wouldn't know how to do it. It takes a bit of discipline but once you get into the swing of it its not that hard. It also depends on the nature of your new host and your ability to match the original reference to the image to any new reference the new host may give it.

If there are any long threads that would benefit from being updated then giving the owner a nudge would be an option. I've got a couple with 1000's of views which I guess people must be using as a point of reference.

Lets just do it please and see what happens.

Pete

Angie,

I would think allowing posters to edit old posts would be desirable, not just because of the current photo problem, but because sometimes errors get noticed much later than one would think, including errors by the original poster, and it would be good to be able to fix them and more efficient to do so than to continually add posts to threads to explain that there was an error.

Realistically, would I edit all my old posts? Probably not. But this feature would seem to be something that should exist.

--ShopShoe

If anyone can post photos and text to this forum as easily as Angie says
why would anyone want to use a 3rd party host.
OK i understand some people will want to store all their photos on a cloud
somewhere for safety but i imagine that most of us (OLDER) folk would be happy to save our files the old fashion way on a separate hard drive or Even a cheap USB memory stick and put away in a drawer.I for one will have no need
for photobucket or any other cloud. Once i get into it i will also pay for a subscription to HMEM and get rid of the annoying adds

Why would I want to? My phone pushes images to photobucket automatically and Adobe Lightroom pushes my camera photos to Photobucket with the push of a button.n Once they are there, I can embed them in an email or post them on a forum.

I'm sorry guys, when photobucket finally locks me out, thats it, I won't be updating any links or copying to a forum server. THousands of informative posts I've made in countless forums ove r the years will be consigned to the scrap bin.

And remember
worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

Let me translate that for the future when Photobucket switches me off "This thread is worthless without pics"

I understand that PB would want to charge for hosting to commercial sites such as Amazon, E-Bay etc.

However I think they have totally missed that a great deal of its popularity is through turnover in non-profit or low-profit / service sites such as this.:mad:

I also can't see how they can unscramble this ommlette. I can't see anyone wanting to sell a DooHicky on E-Bay for $30 forking out $400 for his PB subscription first.

I don't have a lot of images or a lot of traffic on them and now they want me to pay $400.

Even if it was $1 it is still extortion my answer to PB was and will remain "Goodbye" !

Fortunately I have never trusted anything to a "free" site and have backups so they can go .... themselves.:fan:

Its just sad the amount of damage they are going to do to sites like this.

Quite frankly I think they have doomed themselves

In the early HMEM posts we used to do direct posting of the images to site but were size limited so you had to resize them before posting.

I suppose we can just go back to that method.

Its no use changing the provider as they will all succumb to screwing you eventually therefore there is never going to be any long term prospects.

Regards, Ken

As far as i am concerned ,and probably many others,all future thread posts
can be carried on as normal thru HMEM.If anyone wants any of my threads
revitalized then please request and i for one will repost images as required
I understand that newbies will miss out on a lot of good and interesting threads

It's a big issue for many, especially those that post to multiple forums. With a hosted image, it's virtually copy and paste posts (with pictures) to each forum, but uploading every image to each forum would be very time consuming. With photos automatically synced to the cloud, then exported to a 3rd party with one or two clicks, 3rd party hosting is simpler and immensely faster.

Having said all that, at least we have an alternative available to us now via forum hosted pictures. For me though, I'll likely take a chance on whichever hosting site steps up to catch the outflow from Photobucket, then probably get caught in the same dilemma sometime in the future :(.

PB finally sent me an e-mail notifying me of the change. Days late of course.:wall::wall:

Ron

Weirdly, Photobucket has been sending me the dreaded emails (4 of them I think) for about the last week, but so far my photos are still showing on the forum. I'm sure not for much longer though.

All

You may not have realised it but Angie has now enabled editing posts. Choose your new service provider and get editing!!

Pete

Back