Phil Dulcos Hit&Miss Governor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The way I understand the governor is that the two centrifugal masses are pulled close by the spring.
The picture in the book "Shop wisdom of Phil Dulcos"
you will notice each mass has a piston like part sliding in a grove with axis parallel to the spring axis.
The spring anchor points are a screw sunk in one mass and a screw sunk in the middle of the sliding piston.

How exactly is the spring tension transferred to the centrifugal mass to oppose the centrifugal force?

All I see is the masses unrestrained because the pistons are free to move inside the slots.

Can anyone that has built this engine explain?

Thanks

Which one of Philip's engines are you looking at. The book is rather loaded with engines. I built his Victorian but used my own design modification for the governor..... and uhhhhhh........the rest of the engine too....(grin).

Steve

Doncha just love those Shop Wisdom books?

Mauro,

That description sounds like the Odds N' Ends engine. The "piston like part" you mention is held in position by the screw you described. It doesn't move in operation, only when you loosen the screw and make a spring tension adjustment (moving the piston part in or out) allowing you to change the spring tension applied to the governor weights.

I hope this helps. If you need more or pictures I can supply as I have built the Odds N' Ends...

Jeff

Thank you Jeff.

Exacly what I tought, is an adjustement for the spring tesnsion.
What throw me is that the screws listed are barely long enough to exit the piston.
Just use a screw long enough to lock.

Back