Peewee V4

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davewild

Reaction score
Hi all

I finally took the plunge today and overcame my fear and made a start, as the camshaft seemed the most daunting I decided to have a go at that first, I only have Sherline machines and I wanted to use Steve Huck offset turning method but the lathe is so small I don't think it would fit, I ended up turning the blank then forming the lobes with the mill and rotary table, I have metric machines so first had to do some converting, it all seemed to go OK thanks to Steve's excellent spread sheet, it was far easier than I thought infact it gets rather boring, it took me about four hours to set up and cut the cam blank, then about five hours on the mill to form the lobes

image.jpg

I can only post one picture per post, any ideas? What I'm doing wrong?

Cam looks nice. That's what I'll be attempting next - I hope it won't be as hard as the crankshaft.

I had enormous fear of the camshaft, but it's actually not very difficult, the spread sheet that Steve has produced is the clever bit and makes it quite easy, I now think that crank is more difficult, will probable try that next.

Hi Dave,

Camshaft looks good. Camshaft milling by the one degree and quill feed by thous is finger biting. Had six bad cams before good cams appeared for the Nemett-Lynx Engine. I admire your workmanship on this very long camshaft.

Hi all

I spent the last week trying to come up with a fixture to face the top and bottom of the block in my very small machine, after a few failures I ended up with this set up, after a lot of passes on both ends the block was ready for cleaning up on the inside.

image.jpg

Both finished, a few mistakes along the way, but nothing to serious, next is boring the crank and cam tunnel, this is the part I'm not sure my machines can cope with, the crank tunnel should be ok because of the voids in the block/ oil pan but the cam tunnel is one continuous bore through the solid block, drilling the starter hole is what is concerning me as I have no long drill bits and the hole is about an inch longer than the reliefs on the drill bit, the block is 3 inches long, do you think I can carefully just keep pecking away at it? any tips?

image.jpg

Looking good so far. I'll be very interested in how you go about boring the crank and cam tunnels - I'm concerned about those jobs as well.

Luckily? for me, I have the porous castings that I can learn on before attempting the job on the real castings (when I get them).

I decided not to go ahead with the boring of the block until I have the bearings on hand, so next is the crankshaft, again my machines are so small I decided to make a built up crankshaft, won't be exactly as the drawing but hopefully will be ok, crank webs are first thing, cut to size and marked out on the lathe then over to the mill for shaping then I will drill the offsets and part off the pieces, I will be using 6 mm drill rod for the journals, not sure yet if to glue together or solder.

image.jpg

Interesting approach. The crank was a stressful part for me, and took 2 attempts, but I didn't consider building it up. I'll watch how you do it and store the info for my future projects.

Latest posts

Back