Peat as furnace lining, is posible?

Discussion in 'Home Foundry & Casting Projects' started by Mawitö, May 6, 2014.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. May 6, 2014 #1

Mawitö

Mawitö

Mawitö

Hi guys, i recently had a back contracture and something came to mind, my mom gave me a heat pad that she called the mud bag, is one of those you put on the microwave for three minutes and hold the heat for a long time.

For me, mud is every kind of earth mixed with water so not enought explanation for my curiosity, i found out that is what we call "turba" and you guys call peat, but looking on the internet i can not find information on people using this as a furnace lining part of the mix sort of thing. I´ve seen people using verniculite also but not peat

Is this for a reason ? i think if it holds so nicely the heat it could be a good lining material, in three minutes in the microwave it can hold a close 35 40Cº i would say for at least an hour os so.

I you guys with more experience in foundrywork can shed some light on the topic, my courious side would be in debt :)

Thanks and happy machining

2. May 6, 2014 #2

rythmnbls

rythmnbls

rythmnbls

Peat is generally burnt as a fuel, I doubt it would be much good as a furnace liner.

Steve.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
    charlesfitton likes this.
  3. May 6, 2014 #3

Mawitö

Mawitö

Mawitö

Thanks steve i knew it should be for a reson, so it isnt good on high temperatures as with low ones.