Peat as furnace lining, is posible?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mawitö

Reaction score
Hi guys, i recently had a back contracture and something came to mind, my mom gave me a heat pad that she called the mud bag, is one of those you put on the microwave for three minutes and hold the heat for a long time.

For me, mud is every kind of earth mixed with water so not enought explanation for my curiosity, i found out that is what we call "turba" and you guys call peat, but looking on the internet i can not find information on people using this as a furnace lining part of the mix sort of thing. I´ve seen people using verniculite also but not peat

Is this for a reason ? i think if it holds so nicely the heat it could be a good lining material, in three minutes in the microwave it can hold a close 35 40Cº i would say for at least an hour os so.

I you guys with more experience in foundrywork can shed some light on the topic, my courious side would be in debt :)

Thanks and happy machining

Peat is generally burnt as a fuel, I doubt it would be much good as a furnace liner.

Steve.

Last edited:
Thanks steve i knew it should be for a reson, so it isnt good on high temperatures as with low ones.

Back