Quantcast

PDF posts?

Help Support HMEM:

dieselpilot

Reaction score
What's the story with some members using PDF attachments to make their posts?

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
When you make a post, scroll down past the "window "you have typed in and you will see a box titled "Manage Attachments". Click on it, and follow the instructions that come up.

dieselpilot

Reaction score
I know how it's done, but why are people doing this? I'm not very interested in downloading an attachment to view a post.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Probably because when someone posts engine plans or something complex, they show up a lot better when posted as a pdf attachment than simply posted as a JPG.--Also, there are a few things that can not be posted directly and can only be viewed as an attachment, for instance a 3D pdf

manfred albert

Reaction score
the spell checker is canceld by HMEM, so I´m using pdf format. I can prepare my report at any time with my spell checker. Direct reporting in German no problem, but than You will have a problem.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus Freiburg an der Elbe
Manfred

dieselpilot

Reaction score
Posts in other languages wouldn't bother me a bit and google translate works well these days, but sometimes forums have rules. I went to Intermodellbau in Dortmund in 2003 and survived. I understand the spell checking, but that could be a browser issue as mine works.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Can you post the link where that's happening?

ausdier

Reaction score
So dieselpilot, is it a simple matter that you don't like the fact that some people post using pdf's ?

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I see it as larger than that. Added to the forum it makes for quick reading withing the context of the thread. In PDF form you have to download it, open it, read it, then go back to the thread.

canadianhorsepower

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
PDF take less space then JPG in drawings
check
Rupnow i.c. with governor post 166 all data are on their

66% less space

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
Pdf format also allows to post several pages of a plan set in one tidy document you can have drawings . text and photos all in one package .
And you can magnify to see detail.

Tin

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
I see your point . Like any other tool a time to use and a time to use simpler methods.
Tin

canadianhorsepower

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
My reply which I'm sure will be worth the extra steps to read.
your going from one extreme to the other:hDe:

my suggestion would be this "that's what I do" if you don't
want to read a post because "whatever reason is" don't reed it
you'll sleep better at night. Their is many reasons why people use
PDF and I don't think that because you don't like it,
that people will change their way of posting

cheers

Cogsy

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I agree Greg. Attaching a pdf with drawings, plans, etc is a very handy and useful feature, but having the whole text post or just images as a pdf is totally unnecessary. Generally I don't even both opening the pdf, but I wouldn't want the ability to post pdfs removed because then drawings, etc would be more difficult to post and access.

dieselpilot

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting removing PDF attachments at all. I asked a question about why this was being done, nothing more.

Greg

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My reply to Greg would be to allow folks to share a project, design. or procedure in a form that old farts like me with short memories, can save for future reference, and print a copy to take to the shop. If the information is just in the forum posting in text, and pictures, it is hard to easily save all the information unless you are fortunate enough to have a recent version of MS Office which allows copy and past of text and pictures at the same time.
I often see a project documented on one of the many forums I read, that I would like to make or at least study. I may have another project in process and need to save the new info for later. If the info is not downloadable, I have to copy and past several pages of text and pictures, from possibly several posts in the thread, to get all the info I need. PDF files, when well written, simplify that process. I humbly thank those that go to the trouble to put them together and post them.

Chuck
and are a joy to have.

dieselpilot

Reaction score
If the entire membership began doing this the forum would be dead. I don't think the information in the PDF will show up in a search of the forum.

I save forum stuff by using a PDF printer driver like PrimoPDF, but there are others. Chuck, if the entirety is in the post and a PDF is attached for download that's great, but that's not what I'm seeing.

Greg

View attachment PDF posts.pdf

Herbiev

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I love the PDF posts because using my iPhone as my computer I can save these documents to the library.

Latest posts