PAW engine taper turning?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetstuff

Reaction score
PAW 15 (2.5cc) early diesel has a taper on the 1/4" crankshaft,..... How do I turn that internal taper for the prop driver?
THANKS!

john

I ended up by putting the crankshaft in the lathe and swinging the cross-slide until a DTI runs up and down the taper without moving..... turned out at an 8 degree taper over 5/16".

Of course! The only discussion I've seen on this topic was for totally home-built engines, where the advise was to turn the taper on the crank and the prop driver with the same setup -- but that gives you no help when you're trying to make a part for an existing engine.

Thanks, yes there's plenty of info on the web and youtube but most seems to detail complex (for me) maths and using 1,2,3" blocks, not very relevant to a very short taper.

If you have dros on your lath and an indicator you can figure out the angle using a triangle calculator from online, but looks like you already have good advice on how to proceed.

Latest posts

Back