pattern making and letter pasta

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Celsoari , my hats off to you sir :thumbup:. I would have never thought of using noodles.
Very nice finish on the castings, are you using green sand or Petrobond?

meus chapéus para você senhor. Eu nunca teria pensado em usar macarrão
Muito bom acabamento, você está usando areia verde ou Petrobond?

Nice work!

I really like the noodle idea, i just need to find dry alphabetic noodles.

Fascinating stuff! Reminds me of my late wife who did casting but with gold.

She extracted gold filled but rotten teeth and melted the gold into little ingots. Made patterns out of wax , did the lost wax process and then centrifugally cast it. Only one fault, it would not assay as the impurities were platinum.

Which all reminds me that there is a large quantity of used amalgam which is silver and mercury under my desk Is there any way to get the silver out, please?

Who said life in old age was boring?

Cheers

N

Celsoari , my hats off to you sir :thumbup:. I would have never thought of using noodles.
Very nice finish on the castings, are you using green sand or Petrobond?

meus chapéus para você senhor. Eu nunca teria pensado em usar macarrão
Muito bom acabamento, você está usando areia verde ou Petrobond?

I use green sand, in Brazil we not find petrobond.
thaks for you coment

Fascinating stuff! Reminds me of my late wife who did casting but with gold.

She extracted gold filled but rotten teeth and melted the gold into little ingots. Made patterns out of wax , did the lost wax process and then centrifugally cast it. Only one fault, it would not assay as the impurities were platinum.

Which all reminds me that there is a large quantity of used amalgam which is silver and mercury under my desk Is there any way to get the silver out, please?

Who said life in old age was boring?

Cheers

N
Check out Cody's Lab on youtube. He has a entire series on gold purification.

Thank you but the gold was 're-cycled' into a decorative tablet.

It's the silver mercury which is next on the agenda. Gold isn't really a problem, it is found on the 3 degree West of the Greenwich Meridian. It runs from Cornwall into Welsh Wales, up into the English Lake District, up into Argyll and across the Cairngorms up past the Black Isle in Scotland. I was up at Roslin Chapel the other weekend- shades of Dan Brown, the Da Vici Code. and the Knights Templar. And then I recalled the building of Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and an associate of mine who was on the British Gold Panning team. Apparently traces of gold were found- ahem? All a lot of bally hoo? Not really, our Queen's wedding ring is Welsh gold and my kids- then brought a gold panning dish into our bhutt and bhein from this associate's days panning.
The Knight's Templar were never far from the bright stuff- or so I'm informed.

Well it makes a change

Norm

Norman the mercury is removed by heating , it evaporates leaving the silver behind , this is the basis of fire gilding , the old way of gold plating.
However the mercury fumes are very toxic , but here's a link that may help https://www.reddit.com/r/codyslab/comments/6sttch/building_a_mercury_still/
I have about 2.5 kg of fine silver produced by dissolving all sorts of silver bearing scrap in nitric acid then precipetating the silver as chloride.
The washed chloride is smelted with soda-ash to leave very pure silver.
The last job is to watch the silver spot price and wait until it is worth selling.
Dan.

Thanks Dan.

I agree about the toxicity of mercury. As a bit of interest, the previous holder of the dental mercury silver was actually a very close relative of one Alice Pleasance Liddell who was the principal character in 'Alice in Wonderland'
As I am still clearing my late wife's things, I should probably pass the stuff to the professionals-- and give the proceeds to one of her charities.

I'm a bit too old to re-raise chemistry . Oddly, Alice's lot- the Liddlells( Ravensworths) were involved with lead manufacturing and obviously the silver which condensed-- as every school knows( ?) in the soot of the refractory ovens. ??? Long time since I Matriculated.

More money in pharmaceuticals - and being stuck together with the damned tablets helps enormously

Best Wishes and my Thanks

Norman

Latest posts

Back