Quantcast

Passing of a Model Engineering Legend - George Luhrs

Help Support HMEM:

jschoenly

HMEM Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It is with great sadness I inform that George Luhrs passed away peacefully on Sunday February 2nd, 2014. George was a dear friend and the most kind and helpful soul you could find. If there was a question to be asked, George was there to help find an answer. His creativity knew no bounds whether it was a clever way to package his hobby supplies to travel to a show or his need for an accurate bread slicer in the kitchen. George would conjure up an idea in his head, sketch it out, and make notes before heading to the basement to bring it to life.

His hobbies seemed limitless ranging from model airplanes in his youth to his beloved antique cars. He collected not 1, not 2, but 3 player pianos which he would coax back to life and then use for "exercise" pumping away at the foot pedals playing some of his hundreds of music rolls he would delicately repair and restore. He built the most beautiful and tiniest models of gas and steam engines with the most magnificent detail, nearly all his own designs started simply on paper with a trusty pencil. His car collection was eclectic and interesting. After getting a car home or noticing a need for some repair, George would quickly teardown everything near the affected area for a full rebuild and paint job before he’d “schlunk” it back together as he would say.

He found great joy in his teachings. In his latest years, he was delighted to teach the engineering students of Stony Brook the ins and outs of lathe and milling machine operation with the projects he outlined. He took on various students over the years where he lovingly mentored them on projects big and small. He and his late wife Barb invited me at age 11 to his home for a few week summer vacation to learn under his direction in his shop and tour around his community visiting all manner of hobbyists, shops, and museums of his vast group of friends. There was no topic George didn't enjoy pondering and tinkering on.

His passing is a great loss to a world of people who had the pleasure of knowing him. He will be sorely missed.

Jared Schoenly
Cabin Fever Expo

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 1 (2).JPG

Philjoe5

Reaction score
I met George at the Reunion shows at the Rough & Tumble in Kinzers, PA. I usually set up my models right near his table. One day he came over to my display and said, "That's really nice work". I was blown away.

If you drew a spectrum of model engineers, he and I could be the anchor points at either end.

I'll miss seeing him

Phil

cheepo45

Reaction score
R.I.P. George. What a decent guy. I talked with him many times at Cabin Fever and the Rough and Tumble Museum. He was always willing to talk about his projects. The circular display and extremely small I.C. engines have been the highlight of the shows. His engines will live on.
cheepo45

dreeves

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
He will be greatly missed. I enjoyed looking at his engines at Cabin Fever. He was always willing to answer questions.

Dave

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
Wow what to say.
First of all Jared thanks for letting us know Looking forward to cabin fever.

George loved people model engine building and all things mechanical. He will be missed.
I to had the opportunity to meet him talk with him and admire his fantastic work.

His skill was imho second to none.
Tin

Latest posts