Parting tool chatter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Richard. My daughter works I the medical sector. Yes, Covid exists and fills wards with people. My brother-in-law, in his late 70s, was hospitalised in for 2 weeks with covid, and 6 weeks on is not yet at full health, and there were deaths in the ward from covid. I know other peple who have lost friends and relatives. It is real.
But if the true figures were known, maybe it would only do be th us all f deaths per winter? However, you can't compare deaths from flu each year in an uncontrolled free society, with Covid deaths in 1 year with quarantine conditions in many places - like Spain, France and the UK.
But you are right. "We, the people" have a responsibility to hold the politicians to task (we tax-payers pay their salaries) and get honest policies and direction for the nation from them. NOT NEWSPAPERS, PRESS AND OTHER BUSINESS LED CORRUPT, SELF INTERESTED, ORANISATIONS.
Also, as with every disaster, man-made or natural, Joe Public pays in many ways and some businessmen and politicians and "experts" get rich! A natural law exists here I think? Darwin said the fittest survive best... or those at the top survive better than those drowning in the mire at the bottom of the heap!
It does look like there is a "big brother" international conspiracy. I think it is a strategic warfare by the Chinese - where the man-made virus was initially released - to de-stabilise the Western economies, so we become more dependant on imports from China, which can then inflate prices for their goods! Maybe it isn't? Just an unhappy coincidence? But nothing would surprise me...
Back to the workshop to tap a 5/16" BSF thread...
K2

of course this must be assumption- and the famous, 'I knew a man, who knew a man*******'
snip
You see, unless you are at least 94, you have no first class evidence of what went on. The rest of these ones who have ffirst hand experience are either gaga or-- sadly DEAD. As far as my little place there are only two of us.

Next morning- I hd escaped being re-mustered and - well the rest was history.

What is quite clear is that the winners write the history books.

I find it quite fascinating the denigration of oral history displayed.

Oh well - - - - what do I know anyway - - - - I'm not an American - - - .

Hi Richard. My daughter works I the medical sector. Yes, Covid exists and fills wards with people. My brother-in-law, in his late 70s, was hospitalised in for 2 weeks with covid, and 6 weeks on is not yet at full health, and there were deaths in the ward from covid. I know other peple who have lost friends and relatives. It is real.
But if the true figures were known, maybe it would only do be th us all f deaths per winter? However, you can't compare deaths from flu each year in an uncontrolled free society, with Covid deaths in 1 year with quarantine conditions in many places - like Spain, France and the UK.
But you are right. "We, the people" have a responsibility to hold the politicians to task (we tax-payers pay their salaries) and get honest policies and direction for the nation from them. NOT NEWSPAPERS, PRESS AND OTHER BUSINESS LED CORRUPT, SELF INTERESTED, ORANISATIONS.
Also, as with every disaster, man-made or natural, Joe Public pays in many ways and some businessmen and politicians and "experts" get rich! A natural law exists here I think? Darwin said the fittest survive best... or those at the top survive better than those drowning in the mire at the bottom of the heap!
It does look like there is a "big brother" international conspiracy. I think it is a strategic warfare by the Chinese - where the man-made virus was initially released - to de-stabilise the Western economies, so we become more dependant on imports from China, which can then inflate prices for their goods! Maybe it isn't? Just an unhappy coincidence? But nothing would surprise me...
Back to the workshop to tap a 5/16" BSF thread...
K2
Yes, nothing surprizes, however, it makes me veryangry.

The problem is the wildlife markets in SE Asia. Covid is just one of many coronaviruses that circulate in wildlife populations. The genetics point straight back to bats and possibly cats, maybe pangolins. No epidemiologist believes it is anything else. As a person who loves wildlife and the natural world, it saddens me that we are hammering our fellow creatures into extinction as fast as we can. Wildlife markets and all the snaring and trapping that supplies them should be closed.

As a young graduate engineer in early 1970 I got a job as an Industrial Engineer at Western Electric in Kearny, NJ. WE made all kinds of electrical and electronic equipment during WW2. In the shop area I was involved with we had lots of ladies that worked there during WW2. One of the ladies told me she (about 30 years earlier) worked on a big Top Secret project. She was told she was making power supply parts for a radar detector. She explained it was buried on beaches in England and would warn of German bombers flying in to bomb. I was duly impressed.
Fast forward, around 2005 a lot of WW2 secret projects were being revealed. I found out that these WE products made in Kearny were not buried in beaches in England. They were complete radar units attached to the bottom of B29 bombers for bombing Japan at night or through clouds and for radar navigation. How was that for keeping a secret. Opposite side of the world and 35,000 feet up as opposed to around the globe and 10 feet under sand.

You see, unless you are at least 94, you have no first class evidence of what went on.

There's plenty of documentation that is far more accurate than anecdotal recollections of a single person. Case in point - the F8 Meteor had a maximum climb rate ~ 7000fpm and took 5 minutes to climb to 30,000 feet. Documentation from multiple sources is indeed 'first class evidence' and exists for a very good reason - to record what actually occurred without relying on aging memories, misunderstandings and exaggerations.

Hi Cogsy
No! Sorry but I was ACTUALLY at the Royal Aircraft Show at Farnboro
ugh in 1949 and vividly recall the BBC correspondent describig the events. I have a Pelmanistic memory and the. Meteor in question was fitted with 're-heatss'. It was NOT a standard aircraft.

[SNIP]

So I must disagree with your information- I was there at Farnborough. I have no doubt that 'somewhere' there is information to be concocted to prove my version of events.
A meteor was experimentally fitted with non-standard turbojets in 1948 and went on to set a world climb record in mid-1951 of just over 39,000 feet in just over 3 minutes. Well documented and claimed as an official record by the Brits'. I doubt they'd have been crowing so hard if they'd achieved 40,000ft in 40 seconds way back in '49.

Typo--
Let him that is without sin, cast the first stone
I'm doing rather well considering my 90+ years:)

Last edited:
Typo--
Let him that is without sin, cast the first stone
I'm doing rather well considering my 90+ years:)
Which bit are you claiming was a typo? The 40 thousand feet was supposed to be 4 thousand maybe, or the 40 seconds was supposed to be 400?? - so why did you ark-up when I mentioned the 7 thousand foot per minute climb rate of the F8? It was at best an exaggeration and at worst an outright lie, and you were caught. Blaming a typo isn't going to fool anyone.

------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as what was broadcast over the address system was 40,000 feet in 4 minutes and that was on a reheated Meteor. Charles Gardner of the BBC.
I am minded to ask the Corporation of whether there is evidence one way or another to say what was said- not by me but a very respected commentator. What documentary matters you have or can obtain has actually no relevance to what I recollect- on that Sunday at Farnborough 1949.
From what I have read, a Meteor- which or with reheats- for which there will be photos- is or was perfectly capable of producing such a performance. Please produce what FIRST CLASS you have of the event THAT day to refute my recollections.
In any even there was no recorded evidence of what ACTUALLY happened. I was and am a an interested party and clearly being maligned other than for reasons which I am, so far not being informed.
You have the opportunity to delete ALL my comments and your own in an effort to endeavour to return to something approaching harmony in this forum. I now have 3000 postings most in an effort to the forum and some 970 likes in return for my contributions.\
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've just checked RA 435 with reheat was at Farnborough Show in 1949

In addition there is very clear photograph.

Well now?

Meteor

Me

Last edited:
I've just said 'farewell' to my next door neighbour who has been on life support since 'I went wrong' on the 19th December.

I can now apologise for the silly mistakes made then. It has left me with. even more damaged sight than could reasonably be expected with old age and increased macular degeneration.
So I was sort of lucky after all

There's plenty of documentation that is far more accurate than anecdotal recollections of a single person. Case in point - the F8 Meteor had a maximum climb rate ~ 7000fpm and took 5 minutes to climb to 30,000 feet. Documentation from multiple sources is indeed 'first class evidence' and exists for a very good reason - to record what actually occurred without relying on aging memories, misunderstandings and exaggerations.
Wait a minute there, A lot of "official records", maybe even the majority, have been doctored, reported incorrectly, or not reported at all, or reported as hear-say. Even official reports are suspect. Even if reported somewhat correctly,. often an officer or anyone involved might exaggerate their own involvement or take over someone else's involvement (especially if they are ded) to make themselves look better or make someone else look bad. No end to ways people can manipulate "official reports".

In 16 pages of chatter, I thought the parting tool bit had died a death? Mostly, minimum clearances, sharp tools, as narrow as possible, constant feed rate, and feed slowly and carefully, without any hesitation in the cut, all seems to be good advice. Additional stuff, like different tools, materials, cutting angles, rear mounted upside down tools, etc. are refinements. Which need the first set of criteria to be correct before they can work. Chatter is a resonant frequencyveffect. It is stimulated by a stick-slip action of tool on metal so of course lubricant can change it as well. But only with a system "without slack, with sharp tools, with correct cutting speed and feed" etc.
Cheers.
K2

Latest posts

Back