partial picture

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hal

Reaction score
I"ll test your " Computer Geek Zone" :D

I have a Dell Pentium4 Microsoft 2000 computer.

I live out in the country and I use a satellite WILDBLUE system which both sends and receives data using a satellite.

My problem is sometimes when I click on 1 picture or more often when someone post several pictures my computer won't show the whole picture.

The top(say 3/4's) of the photo will be correct but the lower(1/4) will be out of order.

Imagine that you cut a photo into 12 equal squares, the top 8 were in order but the bottom roll of 3 are out of place, overlapping or shown in the negative(like a 35MM neg or not the correct color).

Sometimes when I return to that photo at a later date the picture will be correct.

I tried WildBlue and my local company, both say it's not their fault. I'm don't know if it's my computer or they're passing the buck.

One guy thought the cause, is my computer isn't receiving all the data.

Any ideas.

Hal

Are you running any sort of 'internet accelerator' software? It's quite common with satellite links since the latency of those is pretty ugly what with the speed of light and all. Some of those accelerators compress and otherwise mangle pictures on their way to you in order to get them to display faster.

sometimes right-clicking on the offending picture and hitting the 'view picture' link will reload them normally.

Shred

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure on the accelerator software. I'll try right clicking and see if that helps.

Hal

Shred

Thanks again, I tried the right click trick and it worked ;D.

Now I suppose I need to look @ "my computer" and see if it has a accelerator software program installed.

Is there any way to tweak the program to improve the photo quality of pictures received?

Hal

Hal
I'd be somewhat suspicious of the problem being due to accumulated unreleased memory or low system resources, based on past experience here. I get the same hashing or stuck image retrieval when I'm running heavy weight 3D renderings in another window or when I've got a lot of browser windows open, some of which have scripts of various sorts being run in the background. Pull up the system resource meter (CTRL ALT DELETE with the Win2K OS.) and see if you have any processes maxing the system resources or losing response. Both are good indicators of the problems I've mentioned.

Steve

Steve

Thanks for the tip I'll give a try when I get a chance.

I do get a message once and awhile, something about "low temporary memory"

Hal

Hal said:
Shred

Thanks again, I tried the right click trick and it worked ;D.

Now I suppose I need to look @ "my computer" and see if it has a accelerator software program installed.

Is there any way to tweak the program to improve the photo quality of pictures received?

Hal
If you're running one of these things, there's almost always a settting to modify it. It's probably bundled in with whatever software is used to 'dial' the satellite link up, and might be buried somewhere.

The resources one is also worth looking into-- if the system thinks it's dilithium crystals are overloaded, it'll stop doing things it thinks aren't all that important, and drawing pictures is one of them. If you can check on free memory and resources (a ctrl-alt-del, then task manager should get you there)

Back