Parsell & Weed Hit & Miss

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Brunskill

Reaction score
Starting this thread for personal enlightenment and to encourage my good friend who started the build.

1`st the background:
Glen has been using my shop for years coming by 1 day a week, learning machining while building this 1/3 scale model designed by Woody Sims, drawing by Todd Snouffer for Little Loco's.
Unfortunately Glen has been having vision issues (macular degeneration), being that these parts are quite small he & I are working to complete it. When done, we believe it will be a handsome engine!

As I customarily do I am redrawing the engine in Solidworks, for two reasons; one to become better at SW, two to get my head around how to approach, fabrication and assembly.

Will be posting about once a week for others who may be building this engine as well as to gain insight for those further along than we are, positive participation is encouraged.

Attachments

• SW Head Assy.JPG
    SW Head Assy.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 187
Cool! I can enjoy the build vicariously. I'm probably never going to find the time to build one, but if I do my first dilemma is going to be go full scale or sized to fit my lathe. Full scale means getting my brother's ginormous lathe working, or otherwise borrowing equipment to machine the flywheels. Pared down means I have to get someone's kit, or just scale the thing down so that when I'm doing the crank pin holes, the flywheels will just barely fit my lathe.

Looking forward to this build.
I have a set of Woody Sins' castings & drawings that I got at GEARS (Portland, OR) in 2009 in part exchange for Alyn Foundry Robinson X type castings that had been specially requested.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Great! Since many of the parts are already machined, it is a matter of assembling checking out fits, re-machining as necessary, reassembling.

Cheers all,
Ken B

Today Glen was here to be part of working on his engine, we assembled the head, & I made some #4-40 Acorn nuts like the ones shown here, believe they are more like what would be on a full scale unit, in a machinery room.

One thing for certain, the unit requires thinking about how it is going to be assembled, putting the flywheels on 1st, is not the way! The Crank Pin and Connecting Rod must be assembled to the Flywheels at the same time that 'subassembly' is attached to the 'Bedplate'. So what is shown is in need re-work or correctly re-assembly. Also finding the best method of keeping track of these tiny parts is to have them installed in their mating (larger part).

Attachments

• 20201031_155339.jpg
    20201031_155339.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 155
Hmm. Do you have the book? I'm sure they go over that. I'm going to have to look, once the Last Outdoor Steaks of The Year are done.

Per "Gas Engine Construction", you pre-assemble the crankshaft assembly (flywheels, shafts, and pin), get it all hunky-dory, and tighten everything down. Then to install it, you remove the side rods and main bearings, slide the main bearings onto the shafts, install them onto their bearer, and finally reinstall the side rods.

Per "Gas Engine Construction", you pre-assemble the crankshaft assembly (flywheels, shafts, and pin), get it all hunky-dory, and tighten everything down. Then to install it, you remove the side rods and main bearings, slide the main bearings onto the shafts, install them onto their bearer, and finally reinstall the side rods.
Thanks Tim! No I am working from the Woody Sins Little Loco plans, must admit that I've not read all the notes, might well be some good hints there.

It's actually up on Google Books, if you want to try to plow through it on your 'puter (I need real books, myself). It looks like you can order a paper copy, too. I've read the thing cover to cover, a couple of times over.

I'm also looking forward to the build and here to support if there are any questions on the kit or the drawings, etc. Enjoy!
Todd.

Looking forward to this build.
I have a set of Woody Sins' castings & drawings that I got at GEARS (Portland, OR) in 2009 in part exchange for Alyn Foundry Robinson X type castings that had been specially requested.

Dave
The Emerald Isle
Dave,
Just to let you know. I made numerous tweaks and changes to Woody's design before we released it as an LLME kit. Most-notable of these was redesigning the governor to be more scale-like along with reducing the compression ratio to 4:1. The new drawings still work with the original castings, but are now 33 pages at 11x17 rather than the original 20 or so pages at 8-1/2x11, so are much more complete and easier to read. We extend support to builders of Woody's kits, so feel free to contact me if needed.
Enjoy!
Todd.

It's actually up on Google Books, if you want to try to plow through it on your 'puter (I need real books, myself). It looks like you can order a paper copy, too. I've read the thing cover to cover, a couple of times over.
Thanks Tim, I'll check it out.

Dave,
Just to let you know. I made numerous tweaks and changes to Woody's design before we released it as an LLME kit. Most-notable of these was redesigning the governor to be more scale-like along with reducing the compression ratio to 4:1. The new drawings still work with the original castings, but are now 33 pages at 11x17 rather than the original 20 or so pages at 8-1/2x11, so are much more complete and easier to read. We extend support to builders of Woody's kits, so feel free to contact me if needed.
Enjoy!
Todd.
Thanks Todd, we will gladly accept any/all help. I am encouraging Glen to follow this on HMEM, particularly using a tablet or note book where he can easily enlarge the text and/or photos.
Secondairly, these discussions if kept constructive and cordial, might encourage others to build one. What is the current price for either kit?

I am in the process of building the vertical air cooled version.
My builds take a while, as I have a lot of interests. I'll post some more pictures soon.
Scott
WIP Parcell and Weed engine.jpg
WIP Parcell and Weed engine 2.jpg

Dave,
Enjoy!
Todd.
Thanks Todd
I have got a set of your drawings, brought home from a visitor to Cabin Fever or NAMES a couple of years ago.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thanks Todd, we will gladly accept any/all help. I am encouraging Glen to follow this on HMEM, particularly using a tablet or note book where he can easily enlarge the text and/or photos.
Secondairly, these discussions if kept constructive and cordial, might encourage others to build one. What is the current price for either kit?
Ken. I'm always glad to help. Kits run $250 and $225 for the horizontal and the vertical with castings in silicon bronze. I've also added an air cooled cylinder as an option to replace the separate collars, cylinder, and water jacket.
That's a GREAT idea on using the tablet to help enlarge text and photos. You are welcome to load the photos from the DVD and if needed, I could send you the drawings to load there as well.
Todd.

Thanks Todd
I have got a set of your drawings, brought home from a visitor to Cabin Fever or NAMES a couple of years ago.

Dave
The Emerald Isle
Dave,
That meet-up at NAMES is one of our most-memorable show happenings. We weren't exhibiting there yet and had the gentleman paged over the PA system. We had a great conversation after delivering the "goods." :cool:
Todd.

Latest posts

Back