Packing Nut Packing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
Many of Elmer's engines call for packing nuts on the cylinder and steam
chests. The plans say to use a few strands of asbestos graphite packing.
Since asbestos has been pretty much outlawed in the USA it's difficult to
find. For the purist you CAN still buy asbestos packing if you know where
to shop. It is still a legal product in Canada and they are more than happy
to ship it to you. However the teflon based faucet packing sold in
hardware stores and home centers works just as well. Myself, I'm the
I NEED IT NOW kind of guy. I found that a few strands off the wife's
cotton rag mop soaked with 10Wt machine oil works just as well.

I used to weld up prototype pellet wood stoves and we had an airtight door seal that was close to as good as asbestos.

I dont know what it was, fiberglass maybe?

I would suggest that glass fibre not be used as a gland packing. It is a very abrasive material and would wear the shaft out in no time.
Ricks suggestions above are spot on. PTFE plumbers tape twisted to string shape can not only be used for gland packing but for alternative piston rings as well in air or steam applications. The cotton 'mop' strands also are ideal but I would use a small tub with a mixture of graphite grease and oil mixed to a rather thick solution to soak the strands in, leave it in there permanently and you have some to hand all the time. That is basically what the packing we use consists of. Half a mop done this way will last you a couple of hundred years.
BTW just tell the wife a stray dog ran away with the mop.

John

In my visits to yard sales, flea markets, auto parts swap meets, I keep my eyes open for useful or unusual items. A couple years ago at a local "parts-a-rama" auto parts swap meet, I found an 'antique' can of valve packing (graphited asbestos) for $5.00. Bought it, took it home and opened it to find that it had never been used. You never know what you'll find...

There is a similar , maybe even the same thing, available for "Stern gland packing" in yacht chandlers. It looks like braided square woven cotton impregnated with grease.

i picked up some PTFE cord at the local hardware store today. 3/32 x24" for 2 bucks. Seems heavy for the little packings on Elmers engines. so I searched www.mcmaster.com .they have virgin Teflon cord in the .028 " to .065 range in 100 ft pack for $15 bucks . Sounds like a lifetime supply and plenty to share. Hmm
Tin

Hi Tin,
Usually you can unwrap the cord and make it smaller, or cut it lengthways with a scalpel to make it the size you want. It doesn't have to be wrapped around the shaft. If you can get it into the gland roughly equally spaced around the shaft, it can go in in small bits, as long as when it tightens it forms a semi solid lump around the shaft.

John

the stuff I bought appears to be monofiliment PTFE. Like a piece of spaghetti.
You are right if it was braided or twisted I could unravel it.
I am new to the gland packing thing . None of my other engines have needed it. The projects I have on the bench now are a step up for me.
Tin

Back