overlay or drawing button LCD shield.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Does anyone have a non 3D overlay or scaled/dimensioned drawing of the button LCD shield layout? I want to put my Arduino RT controller in a project box and need to machine the openings for the LCD and Buttons. I don't have CNC/CAD software or machines. I will be machining on a manual mill.

Chuck

Edit: I would prefer something I can print and glue or tape to the box and mill the cutouts...

Last edited:
Does anyone have a non 3D overlay or scaled/dimensioned drawing of the button LCD shield layout? I want to put my Arduino RT controller in a project box and need to machine the openings for the LCD and Buttons. I don't have CNC/CAD software or machines. I will be machining on a manual mill.

Chuck

Edit: I would prefer something I can print and glue or tape to the box and mill the cutouts...
Chuck:
take a picture of yours of your Lcd shield then on your computer you can
scale it to match the dimension, and print this on transfer paper
what model of shield do you have
Luc

Luc,
My shield is a clone of the Sainsmart. Looks and works exactly like the Sainsmart, but has no markings on it other than LCD Keypad Shield. Got it on E-Bay.

Chuck

I have a drawing from Sainsmart website but I cannot get the drawing reduced to scale. Nothing I currently have works. the drawing prints at full page size!
viewpicture.jpg

Chuck

Chuck -

If you just want it scaled to the dimensions shown in the picture, I can scale it for you and email you a PDF for you to print. If you don't come up with another solution and you want to follow up on my offer, just PM me.

I will just import your picture into LibreOffice Draw (which can be downloaded for free), scale it, and print it to PDF. You could do this yourself, but if you're not comfortable with this kind of thing, my offer stands.

I have a drawing from Sainsmart website but I cannot get the drawing reduced to scale. Nothing I currently have works. the drawing prints at full page size!
viewpicture.jpg

Chuck
Can you send me this picture in pm
thanks
Luc

Chuck

Chuck I often use the technique Luc recommended., however I'm making enclosure for my controller that requires me to create a scaled cad drawing of the LCD shield. If you can wait a few days I'll post it to downloads section

I'm thinking of perhaps using laser cut plastic or plywood and flexible button actuators rather than thru holes, but will create drawing for both options

I realized I could post this in an attachment about as quickly as I could exchange PMs, so here is the scaled drawing attached as a PDF. If you download and print the attached PDF (be sure to set your printer for "no scaling"), it should print with the correct dimensions (if not, let me know).

How I did it:

I used the Draw program in LibreOffice (click on the link to download for free for Linux, Mac, or Windows). I inserted the picture into a drawing, set the unit of measurement to mm, drew a box 59mm X 80mm and scaled the image of the board to fit the box. Then I removed the box and exported the drawing as a PDF. The whole thing took about 2 minutes (because I know the software); starting from scratch and having to learn the software I think it could be done in 30 minutes or so.

View attachment sainsmart.pdf

No problems, TB. I can wait. I will explore all options. I have a Radio Shack project box bought several years ago, that will become the home for the Arduino RT controller. It has a simple sheet metal cover, that if I mess it up, it could be easily replaced. Oh, another thought, Didn't you replace the tiny buttons on the LCD button shield with bigger buttons?

Chuck

Last edited:
Sorry I did not see this earlier Chuck. I just finished making the cover for my LCD shield. I did it another way. I put the shield on my flat bed scanner and imported the picture into my cad program and drew around the features on the picture. I machined everything into a piece of 5/8" acrylic and made some brass buttons. It all worked out pretty well.

Scott

P1030677.jpg

P1030676.jpg

P1030675.jpg

P1030673.jpg

Very nice Scott. I tried the scanner trick. Couldn't get a clear picture. Don't know if the lamp on the scanner id dying or what, but all scans came out cloudy and blurred.
Kquiggle came through an I have what I need.

Chuck

Hi Chuck
I had to mess with it a bit as well. If I tried to put the lid down, it would tip the shield. If I left it open it was "auto cropped" smaller than the part. What ended up working was lid open and holding a piece of white paper above the part.
Glad you got going.

Scott

Latest posts

Back