Overhaul of a 9" SB model "A"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every time I come back to this thread I get more of an education. Thanks Dave!
Oh, if it's not being too nosey, it'd be interesting to know what they get for grinding the bed.
If you think it's appropriate to tell!

Dean

Well.....I'll say its enough to make one "pause"....I can't be a wus and turn back now! ;D

I got the gib strip machined tonight. I need to punch the threaded gib screw holes which may seem easy enough....but I'm tired not feeling particularly well, and I DON"T want to screw this up....so tomorrow night it is.

Then scrape in the gib strip for flatness and parallelism...and we're golden!

TS base next

Dave

Hi Dave glad to see you back at it again. If I am reading this right the bed is getting ready to get a work over. How long will that take? I guess christmas is coming early this year. After you get through with it, you'll look back and say that was't so bad. When it comes to tools I never procrastinate over how much I spend I just do it, if I have the funds. But different circumstances for different people I know.

Don

As discretionary funds allow........

It will get done

Dave

I could use this plate for a seperate project....so I got it

Angleplate.jpg

Perfect match for the milling slide and face plate on the SB.

Dave

OK I got the CS table gib screws holes tapped, and the gib strip scraped.
I need to get the adjusting screws and lock nuts, but it's done!...finally!

I got a rather unique dial indicator stand that mounts to the cross T slots and I would go as far as say it's quick change and requires no tools to mount or remove.

I needed to remove the base T nut which was rivetted on and modify the height slightly. I then re-rivetted it back on. It needs some "furniture", but it's all there and is very stought.....just another bit. Pictures to come

Dave

Here's the indicator stand I was speaking about

2012-06-09_17-08-21_879.jpg

The knob and the staked T nut. It slides on from the side, and a twist of the knob and it's locked.
2012-06-09_17-08-29_832.jpg

2012-06-09_17-08-48_160.jpg

here's a shot of the borrowed fixture that I used to hold and machine the gib strip.
2012-06-09_15-27-41_89.jpg

Worked a treat....the table moved a bit once I drilled the gib screws which forced me to do some scraping to bring it back...not a lot, but I got some "hard" spots right where the screws pierced the casting. NOTE do all the machining first next time.... ::)

Dave

Good acquisition Dave and making more progress. I am still here following you and you are a step closer to completion. I am looking forward to more progress as the journey continues. I am still looking for a lathe and still can not make up my mind what to buy. All the new lathes I look at look cheap and not very rigid. Your way seem to be the best way because you will know what you have when complete. Decisions, decisions.

Don

Thanks Don.....just don't take this endevor lightly....it's a lot of work! ;D

Dave

steamer said:
I could use this plate for a seperate project....so I got it

Angleplate.jpg

Perfect match for the milling slide and face plate on the SB.

Dave

OK.....got this plate....supposed to be "precision ground"...... ::)
Good thing I'm skeptical!

I deburred the edges that got bashed in transit...and checked it on the plate....the pictures tells the story!
2012-06-14_19-00-38_259.jpg

....wow!....Ok...how bad can it be....so I started in with a sharp carbide scraper blade and had at it....about 15 cycles later
2012-06-14_19-52-24_26.jpg

About another 15-20 cycles after that!....and I got to here!
2012-06-14_21-32-36_211.jpg

Which I called good!.......wow....glad it was precision ground!....it was out about .005"

Check another one off the list

2012-06-14_21-43-39_557.jpg

It checked good on squareness and base flatness.....which considering how much I was wailing on it is just luck!

Dave

Dave have you read the new issue of Home Shop machinest yet. The scraping part eight by Michael Ward is great. This one really focuses on the lathe ways. I loved the articles he goes in depth with what he is trying to achieve.

Don

Yes I have! and he's starting the prep for the X2 Minimill rescrape now. He's making the reference gages in the latest issue.

Dave

Were those X2 castings he had? For some reason it liiked like something different... a micro mill maybe?

Anyway... still good stuff. I'm glad I finally have enough basics gathered to get started learning it. :) I feel like it's a skill that will enable some projects I thought were out of reach, which is awesome!

I contacted the seller of the angle plate and voiced my dismay and suggested he should pay attention to the quality of these plates.....he offered to let me keep this one and send me another that he checked personally.

Sure! said I

I'll check it out when I get it....and let you know.

Dave

This is the Guality of parts you buy these days, don't that just makes you mad. Money only buys you junk and it is only getting worst. I had replace all my appliances to update them because they were getting old. Well that was a bad idea. I have replaced three ice makers and a fan motor in my icebox. The dryer was 3 yrs old and the bearings went out, they wanted $250 to repair it plus $85 service fee. So I replaced it. My stove was a Electralux my wife bought we had some much trouble with it Lowes gave us a check to replace it. The dishwasher has had the ccontrol board changed in it. So now I wondering what next. I still have my old icebox in the garage that my wife uses to keep soft drinks in for the grand kids and have had no trouble with it and I bought it in 1972.

Don

That's why I'm doing this whole thing....I want better quality.

I kinda looked at that plate as a "casting set"....I half expected what I got....though I was hopeful! :big:
Let's see....check my thread on my washing machine adventure recently!.....OMG!
What a POC!

Dave

The new plate showed up. I haven't checked it yet, but it was MUCH better packaged this time.

It looks like it had a fresh grind job done on it..... 8)

I guess we'll find out!

Dave

I will be continuing this thread elsewhere

Dave

Steamer All rights researved

Hello all,

Can someone please tell me if the pictures that accompanied this thread have been moved elsewhere or were they deleted?

Thanks,

Dr. X

Back