Other hobbies and interests

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brass_Machine

Reaction score
So, cause I am nosey... what does everyone else have as hobbies? Besides model engines?

Mine:

Motorcycles - sportbikes and old school cafe
Electronics - still a newbie
Scuba and Free Diving
I also like to work with carbon and glass fiber

future projects:

1) Build some DIY audio equipment - just built a practice amp for my brother in-law
2) RC boat - Steam OFC ;D
3) Telescope - Saw some ask about those earlier... want to build on too
4) Several motorcycle projects

Anyone else?

Eric

Ya know Bob... I forgot the books and writing. I inhale books. I do some writing here and there. My wife does some writing as well. What are the websites you have?

Also into cars, but my tastes just cost too much. I have my Dodge Magnum and that makes me happy for the time. I would like to get another sports car for auto-x or something.

Eric

Sailing (racing)
R/C Planes and helicopters
Piano
Pistol shooting - haven't done any lately

Shootings a good hobby. Even living in the nanny state Uk I still get to shoot black powder pistol
and from time to time black powder rifle. great to see others with the same interest

cheers kevin

Here is a kqick picture of my bowling ball mortar going off:O) Notice the dust ring that was kicked up in a 40' circle around the mortar?
Bowling.jpg

It's kind of a fun toy.

Wes

How do you set that thing off?, do you just light a fuse and run like hell?

I used to rock climb, windsurf and scuba dive. Haven't done those in a few years since I got caught up in competition shooting, which is where most of my weekends go now.

It was such a shame when the Uk banned handguns many many law obbiding shooters had there hobby destroyed me in with them.

I hope you lot in the US manage to keep your freedom to own guns.

I build telescopes out of wood as another of my hobbies:

8" Reflector
Ryder1.jpg

7" Maksutov Newtonian
MakNewt.jpg

4" Refractor
bwoptik1.jpg

Chuck

Doh!

I forgot to mention shooting. Love to shoot. Primarily pistols, though long arms too. My favorite is a 1911 I've done some gunsmithing on. The trigger is now the proverbial glass rod breaking. As I've gotten older I find myself wishing for new sites. I can't see enough contrast on my sites versus a black target. I got my son a .22 that came with fibre optic sites. At some point I'll want to put some on the 1911.

Incidentally, my 13 year old is a crack shot, I'm better than most of my friends, and my Dad was the best shot in his Army Division. I've never heard, but I suspect there are genetic traits in shooting just liek any other sport.

Cheers,

BW

I forget about shooting as I haven't gone as much in the past 10 years or so. When I lived in Maine, I went all the time. Had a nice collection. I

Eric

Chuck, fantastic work!, a man after my own heart!, I'm more of a woodworker than a metalworker, I trained as a harpsichord maker, but I also make guitars and play them, my scanner is not working now ,when I get it going I'll put up some pics of my guitars....Giles

gilessim said:
Chuck, fantastic work!, a man after my own heart!, I'm more of a woodworker than a metalworker, I trained as a harpsichord maker, but I also make guitars and play them, my scanner is not working now ,when I get it going I'll put up some pics of my guitars....Giles

Thanks, Giles. I've come close to buying a martin guitar kit a few times. I'd still like to build a guitar. Any suggestions for a kit that would yield a top product once I finished it?

Chuck

I like my garden in the summer. Here is me with some 13.5 foot sun flowers.

13footers.jpg

My yard is my pride and joy. We have friends over and BBQ and kill a few beers and have a great time. We like to cook so eating great food goes along with the drinks.

ferns.jpg

siderockgarden.jpg

frontflowerbed.jpg

frontcenter.jpg

fountain.jpg

backpatio.jpg

frontyard.jpg

Birger, interesting stuff you do there!, how do you find the time?

Chuck ,nice to hear that you want to make a guitar, unfortunately I have no experience with kits ,as such, but http://www.stewmac.com/ have a lot of stuff , a French friend of mine made a kit from them some years ago and I was impressed with the quality of the materials, you can get unfinished necks, etc, etc., I think you can buy just top, back and sides and a neck blank if you want!, seeing the things you make I don't think you'll have too many problems with a guitar, saying that however ,feel free to PM me, I may be able to help!.....Giles

Nice yard Mike. I like your little pond. I've been thinking about building something like that.

Wes

Latest posts

Back