Oscillating I.C. Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Gerhard--I'm not sure I would class myself as a master, but I am certainly gaining a lot of experience. Things may slow down a little bit now---I've just been called back in for a few days at a local factory where I do design consulting on the projects they build. ----Brian

Hi Brian,
On a side note, how are the new mill and digitals treating you?
gbritnell

George---I love them. I only wish now that I had bought 3 axis instead of two. There is a small puny digital readout that comes stock on the mill Z axis, but it is hard to see compared to the DRO readout.---Brian

A video for your entertainment.--No, the engine isn't running yet, but it is taking a major step forward.---Brian
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8pbHkPGDRo&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

It looks like I'm down to carburetor time!!! This carb has only two largish pieces, and requires no throttle, so it shouldn't be as complex as many carb's I have built. The only thing I'm not really thrilled with is that both carburetors pieces are going to require 4 jaw work. I can do 4 jaw work, it just takes me an inordinately long time to get set up properly. However, it's not hard work---It's just picky work.

Last edited:
A minor change to that yellow valve body--(Which doesn't move with the rocking cylinder.) In the original version, the exhaust blew right out into the area where I intend to put a vertical cylindrical gas tank. Since the idea of hot exhaust blowing onto the side of a gas tank disturbs me a little, I have reconfigured the round boss to a new shape and put in an exhaust pipe which blows out at 90 degrees to the original exhaust path. Of course, this means that I have to plug the drilled exhaust port, but since i intend to silver solder the exhaust pipe in place, I can run a little more solder to hold the plug in place.---And as an added benefit, that also gives one less 4 jaw set-up than the original plan.

We have an exhaust valve body completed.--I'm very proud of this simple piece, because the main block had two 4-jaw set-ups required, and I manage to get both of them right. The exhaust pipe is soldered into place, as well as the cover for the cross drilled exhaust hole---(The cover kind of disappeared during the silver soldering process, but that's okay. It's not obvious on the finished piece). I have a bit of clean up and polishing yet to do on the part, but the exhaust valve body is essentially finished. Next up comes the intake valve body/carburetor, which bolts onto it.

Talk to me people--If you find this thread interesting at all, say Hi. I am coming into the final stages of this build, and although I post on three forums, it has mostly gone silent out there.I know folks are watching the thread, I see the post count going up each day.It's lonely out here!!!----Brian

Thank you for saying Hi James!! Leaping Lizards, Batman--Check out the intake valve/carburetor housing. That was my second part that needed to be done in the 4 jaw chuck. I may not like 4 jaw chuck work, but I certainly am improving at it. There are very few parts remaining to be made before I'm ready to run this baby!!!

There must be something worse than having to make the same part twice, but right now I can't think of what it is!!! In the air-inlet of the carburetor you will now see a carburetor jet setting at 90 degrees to the air-flow, with a shiny #6-32 hex nut on one end and a smooth 0.175" diameter on the end facing away from the engine to hook my fuel line to. The needle valve, which isn't made yet, screws into the threaded end of the carburetor jet. Laying on the base of the machine, you can see the exact same part---WHAT???---Yes, the same part, except that the .040" hole drilled full length of it on the center, decided to take a turn for the worse and exit thru the side of the damned thing instead of out the other end. This happens to me sometimes. As I get more and more machining experience, it happens less often, but it still makes me say bad things and think evil thoughts when it does happen!!!

I'm still following along Brian, as I'm sure are a lot of others. It's a real bummer when you have to remake parts, usually happens to me when I rush things, the only consolation is that the second or third part takes less time as I've already had a trial run.

Paul.

Yes, the same part, except that the .040" hole drilled full length of it on the center, decided to take a turn for the worse and exit thru the side of the damned thing instead of out the other end. This happens to me sometimes. As I get more and more machining experience, it happens less often, but it still makes me say bad things and think evil thoughts when it does happen!!!

I find it helps to take a 2lb lump hammer to the workshop door and throw it as far as possible down the garden.

I have reached that wonderful turnover point, where I have less pieces to make than are already made. I just printed off the last few drawings, and it looks like I'm down to two valves, two valve keepers, a needle valve, the hit and miss trip lever, and a gas tank. If I don't run into problems with leaky valves, I should have a runner before the end of August. Thank you to all who said Hi. It always happens at about this point in a build that has went on for a while--I start to wonder if anybody is following the build. I know people are looking because I can see the number of visits to the topic going up, but I guess my confidence needs a boost. It certainly makes me feel good when people take the time to stop by and say Hi.---Brian

I know it's no consolation Brian, but I'm a world class expert on having to make the same part 2, 3 or even 4 times. Like Swifty, the more times I make a piece the faster I get at it. Worse for me though is making a part and having it be off quite a bit but still just usable, then trying to decide whether to be lazy and use it or try, try again.

Brian,

I've been following this every week since the start. I am looking forward to seeing it run...as of course you are.

Looks great.

Worse for me though is making a part and having it ........
....disappear into the mess under the lathe or where ever those little parts go when they escape.

Brian, have no fear, we may not be talking but by golly we are watching.
Ian.

Latest posts

Back