Opposed 4 Air(craft) Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations, look very well, the plans in metric isn't it?

Cheers,
ToniTD1490

Hi Chuck,
Now that is really unique!! As has been stated, what a sound. I'd swear it sounds just like an aircraft engine.
Great work as usual.
George

Great work Chuck. Even more impressive once I figgured out my adblocker was blocking the video. I couldnt figgure out why everyone was so impressed with the sound of a few pictures. :big:

Chuck,all i can say is "WOW".I doubt I will ever accumulate enough skill to build something like this,but in the meantime I enjoy watching others efforts.
It just sounds so sweet.Congratulations,Chuck,you're a legend :)

HI Chuck
is that a fabricated display prop ?with no pitch?
looks a bit like aluminum from the pics ( I don't Trust my eyes even with my new glasses lol)
nice job :)
Pete

Very nice Chuck! Love boxer style engines. Very very nice.

Eric

**going to catch up on the build thread now.

Its a beauty, chuck, and sounds almost full-size I love the 4blade metal prop too!
but how does the inlet system work? is it a rotary valve?

compspecial said:
Its a beauty, chuck, and sounds almost full-size I love the 4blade metal prop too!
but how does the inlet system work? is it a rotary valve?

Yes, it's a rotary valve. The air coming in the back of the engine is fed into the hollow camshaft. As the camshaft turns, the air is directed through one of 4 holes in the side of the cam into the curved brass tubes leading to the cylinder heads. There is a spring loaded ball bearing in the head that is normally pressed up against inlet port and allows (exhaust) air from the cylinder to exit through the exhaust port on the underneath side of the head.

bc508ef0.jpg

When the high pressure air from the cam hits the top side of the ball bearing, it pushes the ball bearing down, which seals off the exhaust port and allows high pressure air into the cylinder.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back