Open thread on Edwards 5 Radial

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, no fanfare with you. Mauro. Ask a few questions, then post the finished engine running. Boom, done, onto the next engine! LOL!
Looks great. I hope you can find a way to post your movie. Running radials never get old for me.

- what fuel & glowplug type did you end up using?
- how did your self design? glow driver work out? Do you run it full time, only idle..etc?
- how did you end up setting & permanently attaching your pinion gear timing wise?

Hi Mauro,
Looks great! I see you took the easy way with the intake by using silicon tubing between head and manifold. Quite understandable... making one-piece intake tubes properly fitting on both head and manifold was a tedious job for me.

What do you use for glow power?
If you can't upload .mov files maybe you can convert them to .avi or just put them on youtube.

Jos

Jos, can this site handle .avi files? I would have thought that any video would be too large to upload, but I haven't tried it.

Mauro, we HAVE to see the video. Absolutely imperative. Uploading to YouTube is an easy way to do it, but if for any reason you'd rather not go that route, I'd be happy to help, if I can, in finding another way ...

No fanfare. I work slowly and am not good at machining and taking picture as I go, we wasted the summer upstate NY, no progress.
Fuel www.s-whobby.com Airplane 10% nitro
The engine looses a few RPM when the plugs are cut. An indication that it could use a hotter plug or more nitro
Oil splube.com synthetic
Plug OS-F
The glow driver is a rewound transformer 5 secondaries. 5 Shunts 0.033 ohm common on the GND side. A simple bit of electronic to detect >66mV across the shunt.
A little contraption to change the primary voltage. You can see the Pot and the 5 LED indicating the plug have current.
It work like a charm, I designed Power Supply for a lifetime so is the minimum one expects.
I like to feed the plug only at start up, like you would on a plane. But have the option to keep it on and even under-power the plugs.
The pinion gear has a dot mark that must be Vertical when cylinder 1 is TDC.
The cam was drilled in the flat space between the cams and in the space where the bumps just overlap.

A #2 set screw tapped in the hole to hold the ring gear. With the set screw loose, the cam is rotated (the ring gear stays put, locked by the pinion and piston kept at TDC) The cam is adjusted to be exactly on the switchover point for cylinder 1, this is a visual since the front cone is not there. At that point the set screw is tightened locking the relation between ring-gear and lobes. The cam removed and six holes drilled for the screws holding the ring-gear to the cam. Even if the ring-gear is rotated 60 degrees it makes no difference on the 48 tooth gear.

Jos I concluded that bending the intake pipe through a compound angle and have the flanges land in the exact pace and the exact orientation for the holes to match was impossible for any one let alone a klutz like me. I have figured you were good but bending those pipes is supreme.

The video on youtube is at

Attachments

• IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 78
You can see the Pot and switch controlling the plugs
The 5 LED aligned with the respective cylinders
A sliding cover to a storage space for specialized accessories, spares and whatnot.
I have to say this engine was at the limit of my skills, actually I think it was a great learning experience that push me up a bit on the skill level.
Very happy camper today.

youtube video link on post above.

You can see the Pot and switch controlling the plugs
The 5 LED aligned with the respective cylinders
A sliding cover to a storage space for specialized accessories, spares and whatnot.
I have to say this engine was at the limit of my skills, actually I think it was a great learning experience that push me up a bit on the skill level.
Very happy camper today.

youtube video link on post above.
Hello tornitore45

Would you have any additional information on your Glow Plug driving circuit? Do you have a build on your circuit? I am building my own design 5 cylinder Radial with Glow ignition and need to get something together to drive the Glow Plugs. It's either something like your design or I can build an electronic control.
Thanks

Willy

Willy, here is a PDF of the spreadsheet I used to document the glow plug feed circuit.
Is a very unsophisticated design. I bought a transformer and rewound the secondaries.
The documentation may be cryptical since was made fro my own benefit.
If you have any question send a PM

Attachments

• _Forest-Edwards-5_Radial.pdf
    501.2 KB · Views: 58
Duplicate post. The first said it crashed, so I reattached the file.
Would be nice to be able to delete own post to de-clutter.

Hi Mauro

Thank you for the pdf. Looking forward to reading it.
Good job building your Edwards. It runs very well also.
Thanks again.

Willy

Latest posts

Back