oops. mini lathe cutoff blade shattered.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had such problems, what i found out that problem was in my feed. After i begin to feed steady, without stop and constant feed i have no more problems

to set the blade just set it against the chuck .
tin

Another thing to check is that the tool holder is holding the blade correctly vertical. Last Indian-made parting holder I bought was made wrongly and had the blade leaning to one side. Negative clearance in effect.

the blades can get tilted in the aloris style too. doesn't help anything

the blades can get tilted in the aloris style too.

Yes I discovered that yesterday with my new AXA holder. The T shaped blade tilts when I tighten the locking wedge. I think I'm going to have to insert a thin shim between the bottom of the blade and the holder.

A caravat about Harbor freight tool packs . A while back I purchased a lathe tool bit set . the cutoff tool had no shape or side relief . I set it aside to use a scraper blade.
Tin

i bought my lathe and tooling from littlemachineshop.
the blade came with rough ends so i had to sharpen it myself.

A caravat about Harbor freight tool packs . A while back I purchased a lathe tool bit set . the cutoff tool had no shape or side relief . I set it aside to use a scraper blade.
Tin

Hi Tin,

Good and timely expert advice.

I use the "T" shape parting tool from LMS and the cut best.

Hand feed rate must be constant and moderate with aluminium,brass and bronze.

Gus Teng.

Latest posts

Back