OnShape - free 3D pro cad

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvom

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
The team that started SolidWorks has come out with a new 3D design/CAD system called OnShape. It does a lot of what SolidWorks does, and if you know SW or another 3D modeling system you'll probably find as I did that it's easy to pick up. You can also upload SW parts and assemblies and translate them faithfully to onshape equivalents.

The big difference here is that the software runs in the cloud and the screen tool is your browser. Nothing to install or update.

The free subscription limits you to 5 active "documents" at a time, but an OnShape document is an entire project of parts, assemblies, and any other supporting docs that you want to include. Your documents are held in the cloud, but they can be downloaded and saved.

onshape.com for tutorials and to sign up. There's also a support forum.

Would this be a good place for a total novice to start?

Can the drawings be used in Mastercam, or be used in a CNC process?

f

Would this be a good place for a total novice to start?

Can the drawings be used in Mastercam, or be used in a CNC process?

f

3D parts are typically constructed from a series 2D "sketches" that then are extruded or cut to form a solid. Any of the 2D sketches can be exported as a DXF or DWG file that can then be used as input to CAM.

Everyone starts as a beginner in 3D. I'd suggest watching some of the tutorial to get the idea of how things work. Some find it hard, others easy.

Having a free beta version to test is nice but how and how much are we going to pay in future?

I was playing with the Beta a few months ago. Seems very capable and similar to Solidworks. I'm sure they'll be adding features as the user base grows. I'm not sure how long the "free" version will be out there but they have been talking about $100/month for ongoing subscriptions. I don't know what, or if they'll have different user levels but I can only assume. It'll be interesting to see where it goes.

I had a play last night. Still in Beta and a long way to go to catch SolidWorks but really for the price (Free) its very very good. It would be great for collaborative projects among forum members. If you save your document as a public document, it does not count towards your 5 document limit.

I never read enough to answer this question, but I've been curious as to how public "public" is. Can they save a copy, edit it directly, just see it? I should look at that.

I am a newly enlisted beta tester for this software. We are evaluating it for use at work, because the SolidWorks we currently use is pretty expensive.

I will post more once I get to delve into it a little more.

As I understand it, public documents are read-only. But they can be marked to allow others to make a copy that they can then modify. The tutorial documents are like that.

I've been messing with it on and off since summer. Coming from a 2D drafting method I'm having trouble figuring out how to do some things. Like this attempt to draw up a Monitor hit 'n miss engine.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3...2023dc4954a49470e7/e/b6dc216366824944836d44a1

I want to add the recess where the intake valve spring and such go but can't make it tie in. I can cut the shape out of the main water tank but I really wanted to add it in/merge it then cut off anything hanging outside the tank shape.

Hmm, tricky. Can you revolve a shape that has the water tank profile as its inner surface, and subtract that from what you have so far? In a tutorial, revolving a dummy wedge sketch is used to chamfer a hexagon nut. Have you asked in the onshape forums?

Hmm, tricky. Can you revolve a shape that has the water tank profile as its inner surface, and subtract that from what you have so far? In a tutorial, revolving a dummy wedge sketch is used to chamfer a hexagon nut. Have you asked in the onshape forums?

I guess I'm not sure what you mean about the revolve. I did model the tank as a revolve since I couldn't get "shell" to work.

I will maybe send a picture of what I am trying to do along with access to the file to the onshape techs and see what they have to say.

Paul

Latest posts

Back