Online old engine(s) auction.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello
A bit strange for me European guy to see asking bid for Ford model T 2.600 USD
Here in my country Ford T owner would ask for 20.000 USD maybe more.

Well me thinks this is early in the bidding, give it time. 2600 is peanuts for it. i just don't have the storage or the funds to purchase anything I want

I would assume they would help with shipping

Now the Chinese version is $300. Could get this one cheaper. I want a real one. There is the odd hit and miss engine for sale at local farm auctions but word is out on them and the prices are high. You could get them for scrap when I was younger.

when I was fifteen my neighbour, Mr. Manderville asked me and my little brother if I would get rid of the junk in his small barn.

Our pay was the contents. I scored a model T pickup, the kind with wooden spoke wheels! My little brother took the old John Deere tractor.

It was on blocks with original tyres and even four “doorbell” batteries used to power the spark coil until the generator took over.

There was no starter other than the crank.

With help from my dad we cleaned it up, soaked the cylinders in oil for a while, changed the inner tubes in the tyres, and the darn thing ran! Even the Ahoogah horn worked.

That was in 1971, it had sat in that barn for about fifty years and was still usable.

I sold it for a hundred dollars to one of my big brothers friends. He really made it look good and put it on the road.

A couple years later, when he was moving to Guam, he asked me if I wanted it back. I told him I had no use for an old junker like that. So he sold it for scrap... If I only knew what it would be worth today?

Oh man you don’t even want to know what that would be worth. I had an original Lotus Elan coupe that had seen too many teen age drivers. Got it fixed up and had some fun with it. Traded it for a rusted out half ton GMC I needed for moving. Sigh. If we all start reminiscing about vehicles we wish we still had we will have to start another forum!

then I will not dwell on the 1953 Chevy Bel-Aire my other neighbour gave me.

She was a non driving widow. Her husband bought the car three months before being called up to fight in Korea.

He never came back. She kept the car covered in her garage on blocks. He had pickled the engine before leaving.

Straight six, two speed automatic. Even the clock worked when I wound it up! Less than 4,000 miles,

I was 18, so it was in 1974. Two tone green. It cost me a battery, a transmission filter, and tyres.

Needless to say I kept her. Drive her from New Jersey to San Diego where I kept her thru college, and my first few jobs.

She had 55,000 miles when I sold her for $5,000 to some guy in 1983 who wanted to make s “Low Ryder” out of her.

Sorry I have no more amazing car stories. After that it was a string of fifty dollar. “Throw away” cars...

To sell Vincent rapide for 199 pounds ????? You are joking .
The buyer had to be the happiest guy on this planet.
Why did you sell such gem so cheep.

In 1974 I paid $25 for my first car a 1954 Plymouth Savoy. It had been sitting up for a few years and my dad helped me tow it home. One evening got my rear bumper clipped by a brand new cop car making a left turn, his fault, tore the whole front fender off the police car and put a ding in my bumper about the size of a quarter. I stopped drive and sold it because the brakes need a complete rebuild. I was two blocks from home when a brake line gave out, fixed that. But all the lines needed replacing and the master and wheel cylinders rebuilt. Going to college and working to pay for it I did't have the time or the money.

I sold it for £199 because that was what it was worth when I was 22 years old. I'm now 70.
Believe me, I have always regretted it and one day, if I win the lottery, I will get another one.
Or a Morgan Plus 8, that would do as well.

This is an interesting thread, my first regret is swopping my 1948 Corgi (Mk 1) motorcycle for a drilling machine
My first car was a 1949 Sunbeam Talbut 80 which I sold for scrap in 1965 (Owned it for 2 years bought for £20)
My 1955 MG Magnette went to Germany for £37 when I sold it to a friend and he was posted to Germany.

During a 3 year posting to Offutt AFB Omaha Nebraska I owned many cars including a new 1970 and a 1/2 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400 which I brought back to the UK in December 1973. In that period I owned a Chevrolet Corvair convertible, a Ford Galaxy convertible and an immaculate 1957 Rambler estate. Best buy was a 2-year-old Simca bought for $30, I changed the head gasket and sold it for $200, a winner for a change.

These days I tend to keep cars for at least10 years so I expect there to be no residual value.

Cheers

B

Readers who follow the World News will notice that the USA is the only one in step at the G7 meeting which certainly affects or doesn't with pollution caused by fossil fuel motor cars.
The rest of the civilised world is progressively banning or fining such vehicles from even entering major cities and only yesterday there is the promise/threat of more regulations coming in both the short and certainly the long term.
Whether these gas-guzzlers will be able to be driven elsewhere certainly is open to respective and sometimes respectable government.

Me? I'm certainly not in the market for such mercurial items. There are better ways to earn a crust- or lose one!

Not only my thoughts- I must add

Norm

Latest posts

Back