One more Aussie to the fold....

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"However the lathe and mill have been in use as I have recently made some Nipple Wrenches for the Remmy. Version 2's are coming out this week where, hopefully the lugs don't break!"
I always used my fingers for :Dnipples.
welcome from this expat. nasho in '68 4RAR.

Hi nowramfg,

The wrenches are much better, the cold feel of steel! I must post a pic.
We are the same era, 12 years in The Navy for me and several years at Nowra.

Cheers,

Pony

Welcome Pony, I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do. They are a great bunch of blokes.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I'm sorry for not replying sooner - thank you for welcome. Seem to be a great bunch indeed.
I will get onto an engine build soon, but amateur radio has gotten in the way at the moment. I've just qualified for the Foundation licence.
Cheers,

Allan

Hello Pony!
When were you at the Canberra TAFE? I too did fitting and machining there for 3 years, but I failed each year thus having to re-enrol to try to improve my skills. It was an amazing period that - our class was full of slow learners, all of whom seemed to have the same problem. Must have been the absence of fluoride in the water at the time. I think we were all about one step away from being invited to the staff Christmas party! For myself, I had done a series of courses over a number of years and I think they mentioned that I must have been overdue for long service leave. How unkind!!!!! Were you at Reid or at the new Fyshwick campus? Together with many others, I failed to appreciably make inroads into my machining knowledge at both locations...
The role of the evening courses for our hobby can never be understated.
Steamboat Willie.
Waramanga, Canberra.

Im new here as well ,
A metal caster from Darwin , got my self a freebie china crap lathe today one of those small sewing machine motor ones , with all the electrics fried
pulled it apart tonight , electrolysised the worst of the rust off , de-greased/dirt all the parts and reassembled it , i'm surprised how smooth it runs , very little tension difference in the slides in full length of its movements , looks like its had very little use

so now i need to find/mount a motor , might go with steppers because i have them , 1600oz/in on the main drive , with a 1200oz/in on the slide , and knock up a arduino thread cutting board for it , just a simple,on/off ,chuck RPM , direction then a standby/off ,slide direction , distance slide moves per revolution

I made the machine vise out of 1"x1" BMS in the night class at Canberra TAFE, it is accurate enough for most purposes and is the one I use most of the time.

It is a pity to see the Trade classes go to the wall as TAFE tries to become another university. They don't have Schools anymore, they have Education Delivery Units. Pah!

Jim

Don't do the hobby courses I started Certificate 3 and then also did Autocad and Inventor. Had a number of subjects that I told them just to give me the tests if I passed all good if I failed I'd do the class. Got destictions in handtools, presision measuring, engineering maths, Autocad, Inventor, technical drawing, and communications. But only just passed the welding as I basically go blind once the flash starts even with darkest lens due to cattaracts. So now only have machining left to do and with my Electronics engineering Degree I have enough points to achieve Certificate 4. Hpoefully should have it all completed next year. May even go further to see if can can get Diploma. (and please don't ask me about electronics please I hate it as my oldman forced me into that and I'm 15 years out of it thank God) LOL

Hello Pony!
When were you at the Canberra TAFE? I too did fitting and machining there for 3 years, but I failed each year thus having to re-enrol to try to improve my skills. It was an amazing period that - our class was full of slow learners, all of whom seemed to have the same problem. Must have been the absence of fluoride in the water at the time. I think we were all about one step away from being invited to the staff Christmas party! For myself, I had done a series of courses over a number of years and I think they mentioned that I must have been overdue for long service leave. How unkind!!!!! Were you at Reid or at the new Fyshwick campus? Together with many others, I failed to appreciably make inroads into my machining knowledge at both locations...
The role of the evening courses for our hobby can never be understated.
Steamboat Willie.
Waramanga, Canberra.
Hi Bill - sorry for the late reply, my better half contracted Non Hodgkin Lymphoma shortly after my last post. She is now in "complete remission" and I can get back to playing in the shed.
When was I at CIT? 1977-2013! I started as a Photography Certificate teacher then moved into Instructional Design and finally Online delivery.
During my early times I befriended Chris Woodland at Reid who started me informally on lathe work. Years later I did the 3 night CIT Solutions machining course at Fyshwick. Always enjoyed visiting the recycle bin when there!
Pony

Im new here as well ,
A metal caster from Darwin , got my self a freebie china crap lathe today one of those small sewing machine motor ones , with all the electrics fried
pulled it apart tonight , electrolysised the worst of the rust off , de-greased/dirt all the parts and reassembled it , i'm surprised how smooth it runs , very little tension difference in the slides in full length of its movements , looks like its had very little use

so now i need to find/mount a motor , might go with steppers because i have them , 1600oz/in on the main drive , with a 1200oz/in on the slide , and knock up a arduino thread cutting board for it , just a simple,on/off ,chuck RPM , direction then a standby/off ,slide direction , distance slide moves per revolution
Hi TopEndScaper, you have probably constructed your Arduino based steppers by now, I too have joined the Arduino revolution - good fun. Scratch built a Tricopter last year with a Multiwii based controller. Thinking of a stepper driven indexer.
Pony

I made the machine vise out of 1"x1" BMS in the night class at Canberra TAFE, it is accurate enough for most purposes and is the one I use most of the time.

It is a pity to see the Trade classes go to the wall as TAFE tries to become another university. They don't have Schools anymore, they have Education Delivery Units. Pah!

Jim

I made a wonderful plumb-bob - a good project for learning different machining steps.
Funny that you mention "TAFE tries to become another university", I worked as a photography teacher, sorry, lecturer for both the Photography Degree and the Forensic Science Degree. Only the Forensic course survives due to the huge student fees that were introduced without access HECS.
Pony

Don't do the hobby courses I started Certificate 3 and then also did Autocad and Inventor. Had a number of subjects that I told them just to give me the tests if I passed all good if I failed I'd do the class. Got destictions in handtools, presision measuring, engineering maths, Autocad, Inventor, technical drawing, and communications. But only just passed the welding as I basically go blind once the flash starts even with darkest lens due to cattaracts. So now only have machining left to do and with my Electronics engineering Degree I have enough points to achieve Certificate 4. Hpoefully should have it all completed next year. May even go further to see if can can get Diploma. (and please don't ask me about electronics please I hate it as my oldman forced me into that and I'm 15 years out of it thank God) LOL
Hi Tinkerer58 - No chance of me doing any hobby metal courses, or any other courses. I like being an independent learner and now with the Internet anything is possible. I do enjoy electronics - playing with Arduino at the moment, and intend to purchase a RaspberryPi when the "Boss" isn't looking.
Will get around to building that engine one day.
Pony

Latest posts

Back