• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Old Willard Lathe Should I or Not

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rozlo

Reaction score
I looked at this lathe last weekend and I can pick it up for less than $500 with all of the tooling which is several boxes. My question is that the thread plates and transmission plates are worn pretty good and you cannot see all of the speed selections not sure if I want to take the time to pull it apart and take it out of the guys basement. Also cannot find a ID plate anywhere on it but I think it is a 13" x 30ish not sure on the length. What are your guys thoughts. It turns good I think it may need some adjustment in the clutches but not sure, also needs a good cleaning.

Thanks
Bill

IMG_20170326_133330457.jpg

IMG_20170326_133344468.jpg

If there's heavy wear in one spot there's wear in others. Check out the ways very carefully. And the gearbox/bearings. Price is attractive- but if it's a commitment to completely regrind or rescrape the entire machine you need to know that. Personally, I'd have some reservations about the overhang on the chuck, too. If it's still under power, cut a cylinder, face something, run at all speeds & feeds.

Every now and then you find a gem. But. With the ease of finding information and comparables, it's pretty rare to find something very underpriced- usually, the reverse. A low price might be a bargain; it might also be a pretty good indicator of actual value.

Back