Old stuff but new to me.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almega

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me, being a relative newby, how I can learn while saving some money. I needed a longer boring bar than I had to fit into my adjustable boring head for my mill and I could have bought one on line, but I was able to take a large bolt and a broken tap and make one for almost nothing except my time. It took a couple missteps and mistakes to get it right, but I learned a lot. Very gratifying and when done, it worked like a charm. Maybe boring (no pun intended) to most but kind of cool to me. We all have to learn sometime and what better way than on making tools we need to complete tasks while making an engine. I will be able to use this tool on future projects.

Yes l agree ,its part of the learning of the hobby,and at times saves money the only outlay is the time,plus the kind people on here are a great help.
wes

Actually in many cases you can do better than purchased. At least you can on a limited budget. A classic example are tap and die holders. These can be made dirt cheap out of scrap steel and even if you go the tool steel route you will still save money.

Tool building is in fact a great way to learn also. However I wouldn’t say it is the only reason to DIY tools. There is a satisfaction that one doesn’t get with store bought.

It never ceases to amaze me, being a relative newby, how I can learn while saving some money. I needed a longer boring bar than I had to fit into my adjustable boring head for my mill and I could have bought one on line, but I was able to take a large bolt and a broken tap and make one for almost nothing except my time. It took a couple missteps and mistakes to get it right, but I learned a lot. Very gratifying and when done, it worked like a charm. Maybe boring (no pun intended) to most but kind of cool to me. We all have to learn sometime and what better way than on making tools we need to complete tasks while making an engine. I will be able to use this tool on future projects.
I have made boring bars by brazing a short piece of HS tool bit to the end of a CR steel rod. I have one which I have used for years.

Latest posts

Back