Old Renown restoration

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmuir

Reaction score
A little while ago I managed to get hold of an old rare Australian made Renown toy steam engine and windmill.
But it was in a very sad state which made it a perfect candidate for my next project as it has a number of parts that have to be machined on it, some sheet metal work and riveting, all areas I need to practice on.

This is how it looked when I received it.
my_windmill2.jpg

my_windmill1.jpg

As you can see it wasn't much more than a boiler and firebox.

I managed to 'find' one cylinder and piston set for it but it needed a second for the water pump so for the last couple of weeks I've been slipping out into the shed for an hour here and there and finally came up with this.

piston3.jpg

I've made parts for another cylinder and piston set but this is the first one I've 100% scratch built, including the spring. I've yet to test it but I'm pretty happy with the reseult so far.

I've also made several other small parts for the engine but the next part is going to be the most challenging.
I need to produce a replica of the large brass cast pulley in the photo below. It is just under 3 1/2 inches in diameter and I am going to have to make it from 6mm brass sheet as I have no brass rod that diameter.
pulley.jpg

I will be using the method bogstandard suggested using friction to hold it to the front of the chuck.
I need to plan how I'm going to do this carefully as this will be the largest part I've made and also using several techniques I've not tried before.

Will keep you all updated.
Tony

Looks like a good project you have there. Someone at my club has a complete version of this exact engine, pump and windmill (I think the windmill isn't connected, but that's a minor fix). If he brings it next meeting I might be able to get some pictures.

Its ok I have photos and even CAD plans of the missing half of the engine. :eek:
I know someone else who just fixed one of these who for fun drew up CAD drawings for all the parts I'm missing.
Can't do much better than that.
It is technically a very simple engine but a nice bit of Australian history and something for me to expand my skills on without stretching me too far.

I have a complete Renown vertical steam engine but missing piston where can I get one thanks Ross Agnew

Back