Oilfield Engine (Was Bessemer...)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good Chuck ,looking forward to see it run in 4 stroke mode.

I'm so darned excited I can hardly contain myself! :eek: I finished the new cams this morning, installed the spark plug, and put together a temporary fuel tank. I opened the needle valve about 3/4 of a turn, flipped the flywheel a couple of times to get the fuel flowing then turned on the spark. To my absolute amazement, the engine started on the first pull!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBXQ6xwc6hQ[/ame]

I've never had an engine take right off like this. I was flabbergasted. Had to run in the house and get the video camera.

I let the engine run about 15 minutes and the cylinder temperature got up to about 170 F. Haven't decided if a water jacket will be necessary. But, do need to come up with a more permanent fuel tank and drill a few oil holes in moving parts. But, needless to say, I'm completely beside myself with the results!

Chuck

Thanks, guys, for the kind words. Very much appreciated.

Unfortunately all is not well. The engine has fried 2 hall sensors. The first time, after I finished the video, I stopped the engine by switching off the power from the battery. When I tried starting it an hour or so later, I had no spark. My test circuit revealed that the hall sensor wasn't working. I replaced it with a new one and the engine, again, started and ran fine. I started it and stopped it several times. Then, a while later, when I tried starting it, again, I had no spark. Hooking up my test circuit revealed that the second hall sensor had also failed.

I've got everything hooked up properly and have made sure the ground wire was connected between the engine and the CDI circuit ground before switching on the power. The only thing I can think of is that the ground wire from the engine frame is passing through the same little hole in the base as the hall sensor wiring.

IMG_3860_zpsec6da9b2.jpg

I'm wondering if the spark might be jumping from the ground wire to the hall sensor wiring when I turn the circuit off (or back on)?

Chuck

Chuck,

WOW. I've been following this thread since you first thought it up. Congratulations on the run-on-first-start. It's obvious you're so excited when listening to the video. Your engine sounds like some of the full-size Oilfield engines on youtube too. Sorry about the hall sensors, but I know you'll get that sorted out.

--ShopShoe

Chuck

Could it be back EMF when your disconnecting the circuit? might just need a diode across the hall sensor?

Mark

I just came in at the engine starting on the first pull.
I have to agree, amazing, especially on a prototype built from scratch engine. Nice job, congrats.:bow::bow:

The hall sensor will end up to be a temporary nuisance. I've used them from the get-go and had problems with my first unit, made for RC cars, burned a few sensors with that.
Switched to S/S built unit and haven't had a problem since. First place I'd look is for a loose ground, or possibly separate it from the sensor leads, but I'm only guessing.

GUS

Latest posts

Back