Off-topic tool question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsteve

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased the new Craftsman box wrench set that has the box end turned 90°? I was looking at them, and the idea is to put less strain on your hand. Usually, though, when I'm having that much trouble loosening a nut, I'll get a mallet and give the other end a few whacks. With the end rotated 90°, I'd be hitting on the thin edge of the wrench... Any problems with it breaking that anyone knows about? Not that I wouldn't be able to return them, but I wouldn't want them to break in the first place.

I think you would be hard pressed to break a wrench under normal usage. Put a cheater on it, and the ball game changes! They would probably last as long as any other wrench would.

I saw those and thought about a set myself. I think I will pass on the set because I think that the 90 degree head will get in the way of being able to swing the wrench to tighten or loosen the bolt, nut, whatever. Keep in mind I haven't tried them, but they look to be more of a headache than they are worth. That's my $.02 worth.

A quick history, the Bob Villa quick wrenches that they advertised as being a ratchet action wrench caught my eye, and I bit on a set. I didn't like them the first time I used them, and they have sat in my box since. That being said, I am leary of the "new" tools they come up with, and really look hard at then before throwing money and the latest and greatest. That's why my comments above are what they are.

If you get a set, leave us some feed back and tell us what you think.

Steve you need to watch the Craftsman tools these days.
The no questions asked replacement does not cover all tools.

If it's made I can break it. I broke a 3/4" drive SK ratchet one day. After I got back on my feet I kind of dropped about 40 feet on a horizontal plane. THEY replaced it. I'm not sure that Sears would have. If the tools don't say Craftsman Professional or Craftsman USA they may not be covered by the warranty we're come to expect.

Rick

I have always been a harbor freight and el cheapo tool user.

I have busted them all from all manufactures, welded on 4 foot extentions to sockets and everything.

I like cheap tools so I dont feel bad if I torch a wrench off short then then later use a 6 foot cheater pipe with 2 men bouncing on it.

My tools are all ment to be used, it they die on duty then thats the life of a tool.

You should see the rock hard tooling I was cutting on my smithy last night, it was a spark spitting spindle stopping adventure, and thats what I told me friend. "My tools are here to be used. I dont care if they last forever"

I have friends with big fancy boxes full of tools that dont do any work. I dont want tools like that. ;D

Latest posts

Back