Odds and Ends Engine Runs

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcmeng59

Reaction score
I just got my new Odds and Ends engine to run. Still need to do some tweaking to timing and setting governor springs. I use a set of points from NAPA. This is only the second from scratch engine I have built. I have only had my LMS Mill and Lathe for a little over a year. Most of the parts I have had to build multiple times. Attempt 1 to learn how to make the part, attempt 2 to correct where I messed up, attempt 3 make final part. Learning as I go. I enjoy this new hobby.

Odds and Ends.JPG

What plans did you follow? More importantly, when will the video be uploaded?

Cheers,

Andrew in Melbourne

I used plans from the book: " The Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos" The book has numerous plans for other engines.

Congratulations! A great first engine. My Dad built this as his first engine in 1986. from plans in HSM. He made a change ( bore through with bolt on cylinder head) but otherwise as drawn and it ran fine . In fact it still does .He went on to build some engines from castings before building a 5 cyl. radial from bar stock, the Kinner from drawings in Strictly I.C. finishing it to see it run shortly before he died in 1986. I took up the hobby about 2000 and built the Odds n Ends from aluminum as a first attempt . Like a lot of folks I also made many parts several times before getting it right . I have gone on to build 2 more Duclos designs , great because they are all bar stock, from HSM plans ,the Maverick and the Gearless both 4 stroke with crank speed cams and ratcheting arrangements to operate the ex valve every other rotation. Fun to build and to watch running. Built a couple of steamers but find I.C. more interesting .Now semi retired I have enough time to really enjoy this hobby . Have a Panther Pup that I put an oil pump in and am currently working on a Doug Kelley designed Snow from plans in HSM. When the scrap bin has less stuff in it than the finished product you know you're on the right track. Happy Machining!

I was going to ask but forgot, do you have an in-line fuel check valve on your odds and ends engine? As a hit and miss engine, a non-mixer carb will usually allow the fuel level to drop back down the pickup tube in between “hits” and won’t pick up fuel in time to continue running. I was wondering if this was also the case with a small displacement model engine.

This will probably be my 3rd engine build after I finish my Kitchen Sink engine and a Webster, and want to see if I’ll need to make arrangements to plan for a check valve or not.

John W

In my post yesterday I said my Dad died in 1986 typo it was 1996. I have used one way valves in the fuel line of all my engines .It sure helps with hit and miss engines. Colin

I was going to ask but forgot, do you have an in-line fuel check valve on your odds and ends engine? As a hit and miss engine, a non-mixer carb will usually allow the fuel level to drop back down the pickup tube in between “hits” and won’t pick up fuel in time to continue running. I was wondering if this was also the case with a small displacement model engine.

This will probably be my 3rd engine build after I finish my Kitchen Sink engine and a Webster, and want to see if I’ll need to make arrangements to plan for a check valve or not.

John W

John, I do not have a check valve in the fuel line. I do see the fuel level drop slightly in the tube between hits. I am very new at the hobby but it appears to me the fuel level in the line is controlled by the fuel tank height in relation to the air inlet. The plan says the fuel level should be about 1/2 inch from the center of the air inlet.

I don't think the site will let you upload a video - generally too large a file. The way I have done it, and the way I have seen others do it here, is to upload the video to YouTube, then provide the YouTube link here.

Marcmeng59, Another option is to set up an account in a video sharing site. I use Vimeo free and you can share the links. Here hopefully is a link to one of mine. At least it gives you one option. There are other Video sharing sights I guess.
John B
<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/241279276" width="640" height="363" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back