October Project of the Month

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful piece of machinery, Orrin. Congratulations. :bow:

Regards,
Rudy

And congrats from me also, a beautifully executed machine!

idahoan said:
I had missed the discussion earlier this month about the new POM system; the new way seems to work well.

Dave

Me to; I think the dialogue started after I'd voted so missed it all. Having read the reason I can now see why it was changed.

I had thought I might be in with a shout this time, even though the project did take few years to complete. Then Orrins contribution was posted and I knew the game was up.

Nice work Orrin; congratulations and an interesting website you have there.

Pete

I must have missed where the POM rules were finally decided too but agree it's a better way of doing it and a very deserving winner again.

:bow:

Perhaps the sticky at the top of this board should be updated to include the rules as I am still not 100% on what you have to do to be considered, what is considered etc ... do you post pictures of your finished project in the 'finished projects' or what?

Nick

Orrin,
A very fine piece of work. I didn't know you had it in you. Thm:
Harry

That is absolutely a work of art. Bravo and congrats!

NickG...
It's never been a very "structured" thing. You work at the top of your game or higher and the rest of us see you doing so. Bling is nice, but it doesn't mean a "win". Note the " " around the word win. Since the thing was never meant to be a competition, but an honor given by peers, win is actually a poor choice of words.

Top notch work at your own level is a huge part of it, especially if you document the build so we get to make the trip with you. Several relative newcomers have managed to be selected for their grit and determination to successfully complete a project.

Steve

my congrats to Orrin for this great piece of work :bow:

I do agree with the decision of the mods and the new rules that supervise the choice for the POM
this great forum find always its way to move forward in the best way
thank you all

Why are we changing the rules ?

The whole premise of the POM was to see multiple projects and provide some "enetertainment" and audience participation in picking a winner.

It has now become a Dictatorial Decision making process.

Why even mother ?

So what you are saying that I and/or others can start generatiing posts with "Project of the month winner according to ... Tom Dick or Harry", and pick the thread that we like best.

At least in my opinion this is not the direction this thread should be going in ....

P.S. Nice work Orrin !

Guys,

There will always been differences of opinion about "how to" do almost anything you can think off. "Project of the Month," is no exception.

I like the fact that those differences can and have been aired in this thread.

After considerable behind the scenes discussion, for better or worse, it was decided that "Project of the Month" in its' previous form was not meeting its' original objectives. It had become something of a ***** session about rules and reasons for X versus Y, rather than fulfilling its' intended function of participation and encouragement.

Thanks for sharing your concerns. The way we have decided to go may not suit everybody but then again neither did the old way.

Best Regards
Bob

First let me say that I appreciate Ricks email to me.

However, I still believe that the title needs to changed.

Call it "showcase of the month, highlight of the month", or whatever. I think too many people have become accustomed to voting on the Project of the month.

POTM was fun, but it seems some folks took it too seriously. That is sad.

I think everyone is talented in their own right on the forum, and deserves to be given some "air time".

Jack,

As I said in my previous post, the decision has been made.

jackfrost said:
I think everyone is talented in their own right on the forum, and deserves to be given some "air time".

Yes, but with 5 posts in 9 months......... none of them related to a model you are building or have built "Air Time" could be a bit of a problem.

Best Regards
Bob

Lets put our egos to bed,stop this useless bickering and sit back and just enjoy this wonderfull forum. :wall:

Ian (seagar)

You can please all of the people some of the time.

or some of the people all of the time.

But HMEM people Who knows!!!!!!!!!

Bob,

I was thinking along the same lines - people don't tend to be interested in your opinion if that's the contribution you've made in 9 months, he is, nevertheless entitled to his opinion.

However, I do agree with Jack, if the rules have been changed, members need to know them. If it's no longer 'Project of the month', the title needs to be changed and the board name. The sticky at the top needs to be amended and have some guidelines about what happens, when etc so people can show / explain their models, builds, whatever, at the appropriate time in the appropriate place.

There's no point having such a feature without guidelines or rules, people don't know what's going on.

Nick

Nick,

Thanks for your input.

I am sorry the new format is not clear and to that end I will take it up with the rest of the team before shooting off at the keyboard to ensure that we are all on the same page.

Best Regards
Bob

Bob,

That's all I meant but you've worded it better.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick and others reading this,

The red flagging of our site is top of the pops at the moment but we will dot the eyes and X the Tees ::) and get back to you. (Reminds me of spud bashing on a golf course ;)).

Thanks for your patience.

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back