November's Project of the Month!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
This month's winner is Inky Engines!

Elmer's Geared (Hypocycloidal) Steam Engine

IMG_5694.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiuyH4lC3qg&feature=youtu.be

Congrats to Inky Engines!

Great job on an interesting design. The video you posted really took us through the building process too!Thm:

Cheers,
Phil

Great job - I have been thinking of an epicyclic for my next project.

Very high WTF factor to the uninitiated.

Enjoy your month on the marquee.

Ken

That is awesome!!!! Its hard to believe that everything can move that fast and with such precision. Well done

Beautiful work Geoff! :bow:

Rick

A real master piece. Congrats Geoff

Congratulations
Thats just lovely, Top Job Mate :)
Pete

All .....

What a surprise! As a relative newcomer of 18 months to the hobby I’ve viewed in awe the past Project of the Month Winners. I’ve shared my finished projects, and greatly appreciated the encouragement and positive comment, but not for one moment did I imagine that one of my engines would be considered for the HMEM monthly award.

I built my first of Elmer’s wobblers prior to becoming aware of the HMEM community, and essentially followed the drawings and took satisfaction from the fact that it eventually ran. I pretty much followed the same approach for the next 2 or 3 engines. In hindsight what I clearly lacked was the wider interaction and expert comment that comes from being part of a community such as HMEM.

My engines have improved, thanks to all who have commented and advised, and to all who have provided ideas and inspiration through their own build logs, photos and videos.

So once again, my sincere thanks to you all.

Kind regards

Geoff at Inky Engines

Great looking engine. I got mine to the point I needed the internal gear and when I found out how much it was I gave up. Some day I will complete it. With builds like yours it make me want to get it done.

Dave

Dave

Thanks for the compliment.

The cost of the gears does seem to have discouraged some potential builders, which is a shame because I believe this is one of the best of Elmer's engines.

The possibility of scrapping the expensive gear crossed my mind, but the reality of course is that even if the locating holes were misplaced they could easily be plugged and re-drilled.

Elmer's description of the build may also be off-putting for some in his suggestion that it is more 'challenging' than a crank engine - as I see it the build is in most respects almost identical to any of the slide valve engines and if Elmer's clear instructions re positioning the gears are followed little difficulty should be encountered in successfully building this wonderful little engine.

I hope to see your version of the engine as a 'Finished Project' posted soon!

Kind regards

Geoff from Inky Engines

Nicely done :) I'll have to try one of these some day!

Latest posts

Back