November Project of the Month

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
Congratulations to BenPeake for his PEAKE No.1 engine
being named the November Project of the Month.

That was a shock! I logged on and there was a picture of my engines sitting on the top right of the page! Thanks HMEM.

Well everyone, I'm afraid my main consideration when building these engines was speed, as building them was a commercial venture. So I took few photographs, however, this is the first engine which I have cast parts for and to be able to do so I consulted the knowledgeable members of HMEM. In the following thread I posted some pictures of the progress I made on the flywheels http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=9107.15. The engine is of my design and the most interesting features are the cast parts, the functioning oiler and rotary valve (ports cut into the crankshaft). The valve worked really well and the engine has exceptional compression for a steam engine. All in all I was very happy with the result achieved.

I really wasn't expecting these engines to be the project of the month, otherwise I would've taken build photos. To compensate, I shall document my next build, which also incorporates self poured castings. I'm going to start the build tomorrow, so I will post a link here.

If you want more information on the engine, visit http://peake-engines.com/peake-no-1.php

Thanks again,
Ben

Congratulations Ben!!

Well deserved for a great design.

How is the engine making business going for ya? I like your website.

Kel

PS, now you can add "HMEM Project of the Month Winner" to the details of this engine. That should get people's attention.

Congratulations Ben, that is a very nice engine and a great job with the castings. Hope your business does well.
John

kcmillin said:
PS, now you can add "HMEM Project of the Month Winner" to the details of this engine. That should get people's attention.

Kel, I will add that to the web page - great idea. I no longer need people's attention for this engine it sold out within the first few days! A result I was very happy with.

The engine making business is difficult to begin with as you enter it unknown without reputation etc. Then you go through a big learning phase, through which you will make mistakes, which will cost money. Then you begin to see the light. I feel like I'm just beginning to see the light. My engines are of a good quality and getting better which each build, I have a market and many loyal customers, and the learning curve, whilst ever present, is becoming less steep.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben,

Congratulations on your project of the month acknowledgment. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Nice job Ben, and a unique design as well. I hope the business goes well for you too.

Regards,
Bill

Ben,

Can you post some more pictures of the engine detail. Congrats of your engine

Dave

Ben,
Congratulations on your project of the month acknowledgment.

Gail in NM

Congraulations Ben. Very nice looking engine.

Being able to cast your own parts must really open up a lot of avenues for building model engines.

Congratulations, Ben. Great to see a home cast project (particularly one so well done) up there.
Dennis

Congratulations Ben,on your project and on your web site.If you are ever in Coffs Harbour ,give me a call ,the coffee is allways on.

Ian(seagar).

Well done Ben. Well deserved :bow: looks like a lovely little engine.

Rob......

Back