Not what was intended

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul C

Reaction score
Milling a slot in a piece of aluminum held in the vise.
All going well until I see sparks (from aluminum??).
Then noticed I had milled a nice slot in the overly long vise hold down screw.
Oh well,it was too long anyway.

I think we've all done something like this one time or another. Someone had a sig line somewhere or other to the effect that if you never make a mistake you never learn. (Sorry if I forgot who gets the credit for it, but worth remembering.)

I'm a multi-interest guy, so I have cut "the underneath thing" in metal, wood, paper, fabric, foam, and carpeting.

--ShopShoe

In my build thread I relate that I was boring out some bearing blocks to 5/8". All set up carefully and measuring, adjusting the boring bar for successive passes. All goes great and I hit my number perfectly, .652"....:(

lg
no neat sig line

Two days ago I did the same thing, hit .473 . Wanted .437. Part went into the growing pile of usable material for anything but what I intended it for. Not a mistake as I am sure I can use it for something else like a sinker for a fishing line.
mike

Then, there is the “walking”. end mill cutter. afterm a hard session, finding the cut, far too deep. o into the table. Collet insufficiently tightened on the cutter, and the cutter “grew” in length! In my tyro days, the Jacobs chuck loosened, or the mt3 without a drawbar led to disappointment and embarrassment!

Mick

Back