Not as good as Steve's F, D & H story but I finally got a good deal!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DICKEYBIRD

Reaction score
Forgive me if ya'll have seen this story elsewhere.

I've been cruising Craigslist locally for a while but 'til now NEVER found any machine tools to speak of.

A local machine shop posted some great buys on several machines and I picked up this Darex TR-70 tap/countersink/reamer grinder for $80.00 in great shape! ;D I found a .pdf manual on the web and will be cleaning & lubing it after the holidays for a session of fixing my box of damaged taps. I'm hoping I may be able to modify it at some point for sharpening other tools as well. I'm told it was over $1000 when new.

The other cool thing is that I got a quick tour of the shop and drooled over a bunch of great machines. His bulk metal and drops storage racks were the best organized I've ever seen and I now have a friendly contact in the "real" machine shop world to buy stock from.

DarexTR70.jpg

Nice Score! Thm:

Having a friendly contact to buy drops and stock from may be an even better score.
Taking a sample running engine to show and box of donuts along next time you need stock
will usually result in new stock, cut to length, at cost.

Ask me how I know... ;)

Rick

Latest posts

Back