Not an Engine, but a build. OK to start thread?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

checkedout

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I've been working on my own project for the past few months.
I have taken many cues from some of the amazing workmanship I've seen exhibited on this forum and would like to share my own project if I'm OK to do so.

It's not technically an engine though, so I wanted to see if it would be a contravention of the forum rules to post in the build section.

I'm building my own 'strandbeest' Proof-of-Concept piece for my company.
My boss commissioned the work from me back in December and offered to pay for all my materials (within a budget). Awesome, right? I've just about used up the entire budget, but it's coming together nicely. I'm in assembly phase now and will likely have it done in the next couple weeks.

If you don't know what a strandbeest is, here's a link to the artist (Theo Jansen) who originated the idea. He has created many of these and turned them loose on beaches near his home. Theo is kind of a kook, (judging from watching his TED Talk), but his concept is amazing... He has taken it from where he started in 1990, and developed some awesome expressions with it.

Here's Theo's website for more information.

While I'm not going the direction he went with my contraption. That is, my project won't involve self-propelled autonomous units, I will eventually roll out additional phases of the project with some of my coworkers. The one I'm working on now is a 2-legged device that will be hung on the wall and driven by a low RPM motor. My materials are a combination of steel, aluminum and birch plywood.... and lots of bearings. :)

I've taken a lot of pictures of the progress and would like to share with the group... and hopefully elicit recommendations or comments about better ways to do things. I'm always trying to learn.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks for consideration.

~ co

I would be interested in seeing that build - there have been a number of other projects off to the 'side' of the main topic (the great weston bye clock that kvom is doing right now as one example).

Hello crueby. Thanks for the reply.
I think that's likely the only encouragement I need. :D

I didn't want to post something that would cause concern.
If you think it's 'legal', that's great.

Thanks,
~ C

well, its not an engine.... but it is interesting...and it doesnt look like any one is saying no!...sooo,,,, ummm,,,, well I cant tell you its ok to post it here. But it doesnt seem like any one would complain.

It is a Dutch man who build that. I see that on Discovery Channel.
So why not??? I will follow your build.

Barry

I'm building my own 'strandbeest' Proof-of-Concept piece for my company.
My boss commissioned the work from me back in December and offered to pay for all my materials (within a budget). Awesome, right? I've just about used up the entire budget, but it's coming together nicely. I'm in assembly phase now and will likely have it done in the next couple weeks.

1) CO the goal and of this forum is to promote the hobby building of Model engines of various types.
2) Defintion:en·gine
ˈenjən/Submit
noun
a machine with moving parts that converts power into motion.
synonyms: motor, machine, mechanism; More
a thing that is the agent or instrument of a particular process.
"exports used to be the engine of growth"
synonyms: cause, agent, instrument, originator, initiator, generator More
a railroad locomotive.
short for fire engine.
historical
a mechanical device or instrument, esp. one used in warfare.
"a siege engine"
synonyms: device, contraption, apparatus, machine, appliance, mechanism, implement, instrument, tool More
Origin

Middle English (formerly also as ingine ): from Old French engin, from Latin ingenium ‘talent, device,’ from in- ‘in’ + gignere ‘beget’; compare with ingenious. The original sense was ‘ingenuity, cunning’ (surviving in Scots as ingine ), hence ‘the product of ingenuity, a plot or snare,’ also ‘tool, weapon,’ later specifically denoting a large mechanical weapon; whence a machine (mid 17th cent.), used commonly later in combinations such as steam engine, internal combustion engine .
3) The 'strandbeest' while likely fitting into the term contraption still fits the above definition.

4) One of the less stated rules here (Yes it is a rule , I wrote them.) is HAVE FUN!!
5) So, yes post your build.
Tin

Reactions: pfb
I have never seen anything like that before and I will be watching for sure.

Very much looking forward to seeing this.

For what it's worth there are other similar forums that have hangups about some posts but this one is more open minded!

Tin.

Thank you for that confirmation.
I really appreciate it. :D
I will get started on this and share as things progress.

~ c

OK guys.
Well. Apologies for the looooong delay on this one. :)

I've finished my build on this. Sorry for not sharing the deets as I went along.

I'm working on putting together the build-narrative and if you'd like, I can link to that from here.

Here's a video of "The Beast" as it stands now.
I was able to mount this in my company's office lobby (note that I was able to put Nikes on it).

[ame]https://vimeo.com/119247322[/ame]

Materials are: 3/4" plywood, aluminum, steel.

Last edited:
OK guys.
Well. Apologies for the looooong delay on this one. :)

I've finished my build on this. Sorry for not sharing the deets as I went along.

I'm working on putting together the build-narrative and if you'd like, I can link to that from here.

Here's a video of "The Beast" as it stands now.
I was able to mount this in my company's office lobby (note that I was able to put Nikes on it).

https://vimeo.com/119247322

Materials are: 3/4" plywood, aluminum, steel.

Nice job... I love kinetic sculpture, which is a more apropos description of your work in my opinion.

I'd be interested in seeing more strandbeest type stuff, especially the autonomous motion ones. I live very close to a beach where I fly aerial photo rigs... a strandbeest wud be a good subject

I did a lot of research on these amazing mechanisms two years ago, and thought about building one. I would have built one which had enough legs to be self supporting (wouldn't topple over), but there were simply too many parts to make on a manual lathe and mill. I did however, in my research, find one that was self propelled with a steam engine on it (very "Steampunk") and I found an example where students at a technical college had built a pair of powered ones that could be attached to the users feet and worn like roller skates. I found videos of both of the units I am describing. Theo Jensen was the originator of these kinetic sculptures, as I recall. His were wind powered and "walked" along the beach.---Brian

Hey guys. Thanks to all for your kind words!

Brian Rupnow: Yep. Theo Jansen did originate the mechanism for the walking legs. That mechanism, although public domain now, is often referred to as "Theo Jansen Complex Linkage Mechanism".

I've long been interested in the elegant nature of sinusoidal/circular physics. Both from a standpoint of the amazing amount of power that can be transmitted to a physical structure by sine-waveforms, and the mixture of angular and linear momentum that are really quite beautiful when in motion.

What's so interesting to me is the almost universal application of the same (or similar) set of equations to physical pieces like crank-shafts, pendulums, spring motion, etc. At my company, my boss and I are looking at developing some of the curriculum for kid classes in applied physics, chemistry and biology. The current plan is to work with the local chapter of Big Brother Big Sister organization and teach kids fun things about science. There's a need for real engineers and machinists in our world. There seems to be a trend here in the U.S. where these masters of machinery are a dying breed. But... I digress. :)

Next phases on this walking machine include adding cable and pneumatic elements that drive more complex and eye-catching motion.

~ co

Last edited:
Well guys. As is my wont, I've had another long delay in updating this project. Sorry for that.

I've left the company where I made this sculpture to seek better opportunities. The marketing world is a tough one. The propensity for people to get ugly in that kind of environment is to great, so it became clear I had to make my exit.

Unfortunately, that means this sculpture had to be left behind. It was a commissioned work, so I didn't consider myself having any rights to it. I had asked that they let me know if they were going to toss it.
They moved it back from the lobby to storage. And, after that, another employee expressed interest in it and took it home. :(

I've emailed that employee to see if I could get some more pictures or video of it but haven't heard back.

I'll likely build another (better) one in the future, but I'm on other projects now. I'll share details on those later. :)

Thanks again to all those who shared the kind words. Take care!...

Do you still have your original Drawings and Dimensions for this Kinetic Sculpture?

Yes. I built my cut files in Sketchup and have all the important details/measurements. I could make another needed. :)

Latest posts

Back