Nose thread on early BSO dividing head.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It just so happens that I have to make a backplate for my old BSO diving head which is over 25 years old. My new one has a Myford nose thread so all my interchangeable chucks will fit it.

I think that the thread on the old one is a B&S thread.

Does anyone have the exact data for it?

I will have to cut it blind as I don't have a try out spindle to set the cut thread up on as the BSO is too heavy to hold and try it into the threaded hole in the new backplate held in the lathe chuck, I am going to have to machine it exactly to size then fit it to the BSO nose.

Any help gratefully accepted

John

John
This was more or less gone into as KIWI 2 claimed that he had one with a B&S Taper in the spindle.

I was prattling on about Myford noses which brings my ancient logic into focus.

Why the H**** try to sell Myford stuff where Myfords are not generally available. You have BS2 for sure

Cheers

N

Definitely an early BSO Norman, this too has a B&S taper in the nose, not the MT2 as the more modern ones have, I have tried both centres in each head and there is definitely a difference.

Somewhere in my shop there is maybe a chuck backplate for it and maybe even a chuck as well, but I can't remember.

So I am still looking for printed data about the B&S nose thread.

John

I've been ploughing my way through my 1941 Machinery Handbook-- without success. Sorry!

Again there is a start in Practical Machinist but it -wanders off into space.

Can Vertex not help?

Meantime, Best wishes

N

A bit more- for what is worth

try Hobby -Machinist

Old Brown and Sharpe 10" Dividing Head

Last edited:
Norman,

I contacted Vertex first, as usual no reply.

I searched for ages on the net for info about B&S threads and couldn't find anything. There must be something somewhere about them.

I have measured the threads and spigot on the DH, but because I can't guarantee a fit after I take it out of the lathe jaws I am reluctant to start. If I had a data table, giving exact figures for depth etc, then I know it would fit after I finish. You only have to be say a thou out on thread depth or spigot size and it wouldn't fit.

John

Last edited:
I don't know whether this is of use but for information, B&S is AWG or American Wire Gauge and tables are on the net.

I can be trying or very trying?

Norm

So ALL that is needed is the register and its width. The thread merely takes up the 'slack'

Like the Myford nose, clears throat and hopes that he is right

Norm

Baron,

I have two Vertex dividing heads, the very first one I bought has this problem thread on it, my new one has a standard Myford nose, the one you mentioned that all my mobile chucks fit.

I can't remember what I did with the old chuck and backplate, which came with the original dividing head, so a new backplate has to be made so that I can fit a chuck to it.

Norm,

Tried all sorts of search parameters and all it comes up with are charts showing wire diameters, nothing about thread information.

John

There's also info toward the bottom of this page LINK with info on 'Brown and Sharpe worm thread' (which I hope is what you're referring to).

Hi John,
It sounds like you've got a dividing head like mine. Apart from the protective plastic cap, the only thing I've got that will fit the front thread is an old 4 jaw chuck I bought second hand years ago. It is marked:

Made in the USA
Buck Tool Co.
Kalamazoo

I presume it was meant for an American lathe such as a South Bend. I imagine the details of the nose threads for these are available.

I don't use it however. I made a 1/2" collet with the same taper as the Brown and Sharpe centre which came with the dividing head, and mount the work on a 1/2" quill.
If the work your doing is fairly light, you could make a faceplate with a 1/2" stub and mount it in a collet (which would also need making).

Hope this is of some use.

Regards,
Alan C.

DH1.jpg

DH2.jpg

DH3.jpg

DH4.jpg

Al,
The first link won't allow me access due to it being US based, I think they are worried that secrets from most probably the 1920's are still too sensitive for the rest of the world to comprehend.

The second one is more like an Acme thread, mine is definitely a standard thread, most probably 60 degs.

Alan,

I actually bought the early one brand new many many years ago, and that was the standard thread at that time for the BSO, and it is in real first class condition. It wasn't until later that they realised that they needed to make the DH more user friendly and had the nose thread changed to Myford standard.

Having thought about it a little more, if I could get the right info for the thread, I could take out the spindle, make a precision job of fitting an adapter sleeve over the threads to a Myford nose, then if it wasn't too hard a surface I could ream it out to 2MT, then it would be the same as my new one.

Why 2 dividing heads?

I would easily convert the old one to Division Master control, and then it could be used on my surface grinder as I have two Division Masters as well, the larger new one being on fixed brackets on my mill to control my RT. Having it on my grinder would allow me to make very accurate, good quality rotary cutting tools. In fact, it might be beneficial to convert both over to DM control as they can easily be converted back to manual operation. if I ever needed to get rid of one.

Looks like I am going to have to wing it when my shop is sorted out.

Thanks anyway gents.

John

John
I'm sort of 'crook' and am struggling with a blown up motor on my little ML10 after 'moving it' into the warmth.
Again, I've had news that my old Goldstar mate has just died and tradition has it that I should try to help his widow- who, ironically, was my audio typist in days gone bye. Really and truly!

But in the scratting around with my late wife's probate and CGT stuff, I've come across this.

'Operation Instructions. Dividing Head. B & S Type' which gives access to a pdf file of some 12 pages which may help you.

If I'm wasting your time, I apologise

Cheers

N

If it has the data in it that I am after Norman, then yes it would be very handy.

If it is the standard booklet, the first couple of pages show a front and side view, plus across to the left it says what the thread is.

I lost mine years ago.

John

John

I printed from the net as a pdf as I also have the printed Vertex one- but with the Myford nose
Worth a Google?

Regards

N

I feel an absolute prat.

When I first started thinking about using my old DH, a while back, I had tried a Myford backplate to it and it wouldn't screw on, so I assumed.

John (Baron J) called today to do a little business and while there we got to discussing this 'problem' I had. Anyway, to cut a long story short, he picked up a Myford backplate that was laying about and it screwed straight on.

All I can think of is that my confused mind over the last few years is still confused somewhat.

So my apologies to all those who tried to help, and I will try not to do it again.

There is a motto here,

Don't assume, CHECK.

I still don't know why there is a mismatch between centres, but that should be easily solved.

John

Last edited:
Back