nononick

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I am in London, England, in a district called Balham, and I am starting on a horizontal steam engine to be called the Balham Basher. Cast iron single acting cylinder with a pin on the end of the piston to open a sprung mushroom type valve to let in some steam. Exhaust will be via a port, somewhere near the top, opened and closed by a piston valve operated from an eccentric on the crankshaft, which comes ready made from an old sewing machine, including the flywheel.
Anyone have experience of this type of engine? Should I spring the pin (the basher) as well?
Nick

Welcome.

This type of engine has been heard of but isn't particularly common. As far as I know, they're used in small CO2 engines (Air Hogs).

Hi Charles,
Thanks for your comment. Out of curiosity I wanted to give myself the option of being able to adjust "cut off" (or "cut in") with the exhaust to see if that makes any difference to performance. Also there would be more moving bits for spectators! If it turns out to be unsatisfactory I will try putting in several small exhaust ports near the end of the stroke as you suggest. Part of my reasoning was that these port holes might cause more wear on the piston? Being a horizontal mill type engine with a heavy flywheel, it's not meant for high speed marine work, but rather to drive a dynamo or some such.
Nick

Latest posts

Back