No lathe or mill just using what I have

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motormagican

Reaction score
Hello, I have been following this site for a while now and have been building brass models in remote locations in Alaska. I am currently working on a 1/8 scall 1886 Benz. I hope to get a lathe and mill once I get home. Here is my progress so far. Thank you for a nice site.

Chassis.jpg

Finished Steering.jpg

Steering Installed.jpg

Front Fork.jpg

Steering Rack Match up.jpg

Steering Rack.jpg

Welcome Motormagician. Great looking model

Thank you, this is my second brass model. I uploaded some photos of the first one. I hope to turn the engines into running models once I get a lathe. I hope to upload more progress photos as I complete the 1886 Benz.

1915 Speedster-1.jpg

1915 Speedster-2.jpg

1915 Speedster-3.jpg

Welcome Motormagician. Nice work. It takes talent to fabricate things that nice with hand tools.

I spent a few years at remote sites in Alaska in the late 50's and 60's. Had a Unimat lathe in a wooden box that went with me most of the time. Built a few simple engines on the sites.

Gail in NM

Welcome motormagician, in the late fifties, I used that sort of tube to build space frames for slot cars using only hand tools and a soldering iron. I tried something similar recently but it seems that my "clever" has all leaked away in the meantime.

Jim

I guess I should interduce myself, my name is Danny. I spent 28 years in the Air Force and now work for the DOD. I want to thank you all for the kind commets. I will post more photos as I progress.

Keep up the great work.:)

Hello Pat,
No, not to Shemya yet, Galina, Barter Island, Big Mountain, Bullon Point, Nome, and the list goes on. Were you at one time at Shemya?

Just saw this photo while I was looking for a file. This is the one I soldered up for the 1915 Speedster. Nothing like the beautiful engines everone on this site is building. Great job to all you great craftsmen.

1915 Engine.jpg

Hello Pat,
No, not to Shemya yet, Galina, Barter Island, Big Mountain, Bullon Point, Nome, and the list goes on. Were you at one time at Shemya?

My CO told me he had orders for Shemya, and suggested I file my retirement papers and get them to him to sign before he had to give me the orders. He did me a big favor.

Thanks for the kind words. this site is great. Here is a 1/2 1929 T Bucket I built for my grandkids. It runs on a 28 HP V twin with a 6 speed transmission. I know it is not an engine build but wanted to share some of what I do when I am home back in Texas. I will have more photos of the 1886 as it comes together.

DSC00424.jpg

DSC00426.jpg

Me too please with a 28HP engine that must be pretty nippy, apart from looking dead cool.

Well, progress has been slow on the 1886 Benz. I have been having a little problem making the rear axle linkage. The small parts are hard to solder together. Will keep trying tomorrow. Was busy today with some firends over. This is the first build I have keep drawings of all the scale parts. I guess alot of you good builders have to scale all of your parts as well. Once finished I hope to better draw up the as built plans.

Danny

Reactions: gus
Thank you Stew.
Well, I finished one of the rear axle drag links, kind of rough however once cleaned up and painted (if I paint this one) it should look good. I hope to get the other side completed and mount each one soon.
Thank you all for looking.
Danny

Drag link 1.jpg

Well I got all the rear suspension parts finished andinstalled. Now I can work on getting the drive system built and installed. Ihave to put this in to be able to put in the rest of the chassis partsinstalled. I do not know how you engine builders can work with those smallbolts and nuts, I seem to have a bit if difficulty. I guess if I bought sometools for the small stuff it would help. My hats off to all of you as I thinkyou work with even smaller bolts than the 2MM I am using.

I also built better looking mounting straps for the crossmember. I think it looks better this way.

Thanks for looking :)

Danny

IMG_20121123_172147_023.jpg

IMG_20121123_172200_283.jpg

IMG_20121123_172316_516.jpg

Well, I have to stop for a few days on the 1886 Benz, have to have leg operated on. Once over I will Press on. I will be designing the other parts on paper so not a full stop.

I sure enjoy all the great projects on this site

Latest posts

Back