Nice table top mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you included the optional safety enclosure, you could run it in the lounge room without getting swarf on the floor.

Jim

For operator Cnc training I have my students simulate five axis machining by using a tilting and rotating 5C collet holder in the mill. In da biz this is called 3+2 or three Cnc axis and two manual. Most five axis work is not simultaneous and model engineers do it all the time.
Does this little machine make you drool? Neat looking!
Thanks for the link.

You can buy the trunnion rotab package as an add on for 11k .
I am currently trying to learn my cnc in 3 axis mode and have started to convert the rotab to cnc . I think I could figure out a trunion if I really wanted to. If you read the customer list it is IIRC mostly universities and the US govt/ military . Maybe someday machines like that will be common in the home shop but not today.

They also have bolt on plug in conversion kits for wabeco mills for $2400 that is a lot more doable.
tin

Yeah, price-out 5-axis CAM software before jumping down that hole too..... I notice in the video all they're really using it for is indexing, which is cool and all, but as Lamachina said, can be done by hand if needed.

Hi,
Indeed they are but they are bloody expensive. I wonder how much more could be done on them than a rather well adjusted Chinese mill?

A.G

Hi,
Indeed they are but they are bloody expensive. I wonder how much more could be done on them than a rather well adjusted Chinese mill?

A.G
You are right about being expensive. I did a retrofit on an x-2 seig mill I have not really put it through its paces yet I still want to add ball screws. Most of the downfall of the Chinese mills are lack of fit and finish. IMHO they have good bones for the buck.
Tin

Hi Tin,
I agree with you 100%, I have eventually finished converting my agricultural X1 to cnc using the notorious chinese made tb6560 board, even though I fitted double thrust bearings and so on the lead screws, I still have a large amount of backlash on all axis but Mach3 backlash compensation seems to be able to cope with them within reason. I think that I could get about 0.03mm accuracy out this set up but I have to test it on a hard material first.
The Z axis however is a pain to keep true and I have resorted to hanging an 11.5kg weight ( my dumbels ) from the head.
I have two 1.8 NM steppers on the X and Y axis and a Giant 4 NM stepper for Z axis and the board seems to be able to drive them within reason with a 24V 15A supply. The motors are connected in series hence 2.1A per phase and high H values.
If only these guys were a bit more careful about fit and finish.

Regards,

A.G

You can build as many axis as you like. 5 axis or hexapod mill, or lathe with live tooling and C, B, W, Y axis. http://www.citizenmachinery.co.uk/abx-thy.asp How will you program it?

Even 4 axis continuous CAM software is 4kUSD. However, you can do a lot with 4 axis indexed.

For 30kUSD I'd be looking at a used HAAS Office Mill or similar.

Latest posts

Back