Nice addition to my shop - Hardinge UM

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf2qd

Reaction score
Picked up a new toy this weekend. Esco Marine Salvage at the Port of Brownsville had a former Navy Hardinge UM Universal Milling Machine. I had been sitting outside for a while (no rain to speak of for the past 18 months except for the past month) so after cleaning up the surface rust it looks really good. I may have to replace 1 bearing in the Vertical spindle, but other than that it is cleaning up nicely.

Figure I got a good deal, $300.00.

Here it is in the back of the truck -
GEDC0067.jpg

I got it broken down in pieces and working on scraping paint (only about 5 layers) and cleaning things up, now I have to clean up a spot in the shop to put it.

Crap, why can't I find deals like that. Oh, wait, where would I put it if I did find one...

Chuck

That a nice machine. I passed one up here locally for a similar price a while back because I didn't think I could get it into my basement. That was a mistake.

Lets see some pictures when it's cleaned up, we like pictures don't we guys! ;D

Vic.

Did you get the overarm and support along with the machine? Are the power feed parts all there, most of the used machines seem to have lost them, don't know if that was a weak point, but so few seem complete. Looking forward to seeing this one brought back to life.

Great Find! Thm:

I'd love to see pictures of the clean up process.

Rick

cfellows said:
Crap, why can't I find deals like that. Oh, wait, where would I put it if I did find one...

Chuck
There was a TM for sale on CL here just a couple days ago. Mike probably has it by now. :)

Back