Next Project

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just curious with all the posts with suggestions, if anything has struck a nerve. Are you considering any of the suggestions? Is there something you have thought of on your own?

Not sure if it would be your cup of tea but I have for many years thought about the GM twin six. Gm made a 351 inch v6. For the fire engines and big trucks they made a v12 version. The block was cast as a 12 and then the v6 parts put on it. 4 v6 heads, valve covers, exhaust manifolds, etc. Very unique. If I ever finish the 500 projects I have started I would like to do one in 1/5 scale.

Interesting thread...

My spontaneous suggestions in the "British section" were mentioned already, the Napier Deltic and BRM V16. The "boat anchor" BRM H16 maybe...

Italy: Ducati Desmo, I didn't think of that, but very interesting... My ideas would have been the Alfa Romeo Tipo B straight 8, and of course the Ferrari Colombo V12.

Germany (of course, I come from there): The Auto Union V16 with its single cam, and horizontal pushrods to drive the exhaust valves (and, also very interesting, the triple overhead cam twin-supercharged V12) of the silver arrow era (I have a few drawings for these), and if Desmo is wanted, but a twin is too simple: 1954 Mercedes M196, straight 8, Desmo valvetrain, central camshaft drive and power takeoff, mechanical direct injection...
Or a 1967 Porsche 771 8-cylinder boxer engine? Air cooled, 4 shaft driven (yes, by 4 individual shafts) overhead camshafts...

France: Since the Bugatti twin camshaft engines have already been beautifully made and presented here, the single camshaft, 3-valve Type 35 engine, a work of art. Again straight 8, N/A or supercharged. I work on this, but it has been in the works for the last ten years, and might take another few... So I could share some of my CAD data, based on original works drawings, for an 1:3 version (20 mm bore), if this data comes into "good hands".

USA: The Ardun hemi overhead valve conversion of the Ford flathead V8.

Japan: Since Wankel engines were already mentioned, the ultimate screamer, the 4 rotor engine with variable length intake of the LeMans winning Mazda 787B. Or Hondas 1965 1500cc V12 engine for their Formula 1 car back then.

Not a V8, but certainly would be a challenge:

1656375434034.png

I saw a full size replica running at Oshkosh Air Venture a few years back, pretty amazing. The crank is stationary and the cylinders spin with the prop.

I was just curious with all the posts with suggestions, if anything has struck a nerve. Are you considering any of the suggestions? Is there something you have thought of on your own?

Not sure if it would be your cup of tea but I have for many years thought about the GM twin six. Gm made a 351 inch v6. For the fire engines and big trucks they made a v12 version. The block was cast as a 12 and then the v6 parts put on it. 4 v6 heads, valve covers, exhaust manifolds, etc. Very unique. If I ever finish the 500 projects I have started I would like to do one in 1/5 scale.
Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I'm currently working on the CAD for a 1/3 scale 289 Ford HiPo V8. The crank and camshaft are essentially completed, and block is probably 60% finished. The complex detail at the front of the block has been a struggle using the source material I had available. George graciously sent me a full size SW model of the Ford 302 which has become invaluable in my effort.

I discovered a SW command that would allow me to scale George's model, and I considered just using it in its entirety. The problem is that a number of changes must be made to it in order to use practical size cutters on my Tormach. My goal is to let the machine do all the complex filleting and smoothing since I'm sure that, unlike George, I'd screw the thing up while attempting it with a Dremel tool.

In addition, early on, I made my block slightly longer than scale in order to increase the spacing between cylinders for a more robust head gasket. Although I could modify George's model for those same changes by modifying the full-size and re-scaling, it blew up with every change I tried to make. So, I've decided to continue with my original model and use George's model as my reference instead of those nearly useless book and Google photos I was trying to replicate. I'm still enthusiastic about the project and work on it each day. When the block is finished, I'll likely start making chips and launch a build thread although going back and modifying George's model isn't completely off the table yet.

I thought about including the CAD I've been working on as part of the thread similar to what Eccentric did, but my frustrating process has been so scattered and wacky that it wouldn't make sense nor be of much interest to others. - Terry

Late to the party, but here's my thought: Duesenberg straight 8, 420 ci, DOHC, 4 valves/cylinder, 265HP in 192-f***ing-8. If that's not enough challenge, it was supercharged in 1932 to 320HP. And if you're feeling masochistic, in 1935 tuned to almost 400HP with a custom dual carb "ram's horn" air intake setup.

While I'm here I'd also add another vote for the desmo Ducati, and the reassurance that the CAD files would be fascinating, yes. Remember who your audience is. ;)

I recently saw a video on YouTube about the Napier Deltic engine. Fascinating.

I have a 1966 GMC dump truck with that 351 V6 & I was amazed when it I first drove it with 21,000 lbs gross vehicle weight . I had 12,000 + lbs of gravel & it pulled it with no problem . I did use all 5 speed's & split the rear end few times , but it didn't let me down .
animal

I agree with some folks that knowing your builds level, a good contendant would be a Napier Deltic, an amazing engine for an amazing builder....and a joy for the rest of the community.

The Deltic class railway locos used on the East Coast main line in the UK were wonderful beasts!
www.thedps.co.uk/deltic-history

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...6FA12A92297A953B4CC26FA&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
What a sound as the engines roared when they went to full generation when pulling away with a dozen coaches behind... I never saw them in action on boats. (What they were originally built for).

Another complex engine would be the Napier Sabre IIa and IIB engines: H-configuration, with sleeve valves.
https://engineersatwar.ww2.imeche.o...AF,a top speed during level flight of 412mph.
Enjoy!
K2

Last edited:
Rolls Royce “Vulture” ‘X’ configuration, 24 cylinders based on two RR Peregrine engines using a common crankcase and shaft. Used on the Avro Manchester, later to become the Lancaster. Rare, only around 500 odd engines produced.

Sounded pretty exciting in full size on the Isle of Man in the 60s - from the pre-hi-fi recordings I have heard! Much nicer than the Yamahas 2-strokes of the 1970s. Nearest road bike to the Honda 250cc six was a Kawasaki 250cc six - I think? Only went to 18000rpm though... Wonder what a half scale engine could rev at? - for piston speed limitations I reckon only double the road bike, so maybe 36,000rpm max?

K2

Mallory park circuit 1967, I was lucky to see and hear that bike in the race of the year , it was ridden by Mike Hailwood and he beat his old team MV Agusta with Giacomo Agostini riding the 500, It was a day to remember as sadly world champion sidecar rider Fritz Scheidegger was killed earlier that day at the same meeting.
Dan.

Last edited:
I had one of the posters of Mike Hailwood on the 6 cylinder Honda racer in my room when I was growing up . That bike was so impressive to a 9 year old !
animal

Latest posts

Back