Newbie to HMEM and Live Steam Engine building

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and am glad to get connected to the group.

I have acquired two Stuart Beam engines.
One appears to be a complete kit from a friend and in excellent shape.

The other is quite rusted and incomplete as far as parts go to complete it.
The clean up is going well and I'm learning a lot about the assembly of these kits, and early steam engine technology.

I live in Wheaton Md (Right on the boundary to DC) and sort of retired (LoL).
I also belong to the Tuckahoe Steam and Gas where I volunteer in the Machine Shop Museum.
Great place to learn about machining operations.

I'm sure I will be looking for assistance and guidance as I pursue my new toys and look forward to making new friends in the hobby.

Ed

Welcome Ed.
Steam is the passion of many here I think, and it certainly is my passion.

I will certainly contribute whatever I can towards your efforts.
I am new at it too, but have completed one engine, and so not a total beginner.

The clean up is going well and I'm learning a lot about the assembly of these kits, and early steam engine technology.

I also belong to the Tuckahoe Steam and Gas where I volunteer in the Machine Shop Museum.

I'm sure I will be looking for assistance and guidance as I pursue my new toys and look forward to making new friends in the hobby.

Ed
Welcome, Ed.

Ed
Welcome Ed, Which 2 kits do you have? I am sure that someone on here has some very helpful tips for you. Go make some chips.
Loren

Hi Ed. Of course many can advise about engines, making bits, how they work, etc. But there will come a day when you want a boiler. That's a whole new ball game! Not an easy subject to master properly. I'm still learning after more than 25 years since I made my first.....
Hope the real steam projects stir your interest.
But whatever you do, it is a hobby, so enjoy it! No pressure - except inside boilers!
K2

Loren,
the 2 engines I have are the single beam ones in this view.....https://www.stuartmodels.com/item/43/stuart-beam-unmachined
I am hoping to find parts for the one incomplete engine which I'm sure will be an opportunity to learn a lot about this hobby....:)
Ed

Loren,
the 2 engines I have are the single beam ones in this view.....https://www.stuartmodels.com/item/43/stuart-beam-unmachined
I am hoping to find parts for the one incomplete engine which I'm sure will be an opportunity to learn a lot about this hobby....:)
Ed
Ed, Stuart Models has been very good in the past with offering replacement parts - good luck.

Whilst others are welcoming you to the forum I'd like to welcome you to the addiction - - - making - - - tools - - - - might also add that this forum is (blushing) sorta like a nuthouse - - - - we get to push each other even goofier - - - - (LOL) you do know how it goes with them there addictions to 'toys' (some sure ain't!!).
May you live long - - - and 'make'!!! (Hope your wife isn't reading this - - - - wacky grin!!)

Latest posts

Back