Newbie to HMEM and Live Steam Engine building

Help Support HMEM:

Ed M

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and am glad to get connected to the group.

I have acquired two Stuart Beam engines.
One appears to be a complete kit from a friend and in excellent shape.

The other is quite rusted and incomplete as far as parts go to complete it.
The clean up is going well and I'm learning a lot about the assembly of these kits, and early steam engine technology.

I live in Wheaton Md (Right on the boundary to DC) and sort of retired (LoL).
I also belong to the Tuckahoe Steam and Gas where I volunteer in the Machine Shop Museum.
Great place to learn about machining operations.

I'm sure I will be looking for assistance and guidance as I pursue my new toys and look forward to making new friends in the hobby.

Ed

GreenTwin

Reaction score
Welcome Ed.
Steam is the passion of many here I think, and it certainly is my passion.

I will certainly contribute whatever I can towards your efforts.
I am new at it too, but have completed one engine, and so not a total beginner.

dalem9

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score

The clean up is going well and I'm learning a lot about the assembly of these kits, and early steam engine technology.

I also belong to the Tuckahoe Steam and Gas where I volunteer in the Machine Shop Museum.

I'm sure I will be looking for assistance and guidance as I pursue my new toys and look forward to making new friends in the hobby.

Ed
Welcome, Ed.

LorenOtto

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score

Ed
Welcome Ed, Which 2 kits do you have? I am sure that someone on here has some very helpful tips for you. Go make some chips.
Loren

Steamchick

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
3 Ettrick grove, Sunderland , Tyne & Wear, SR 48
Hi Ed. Of course many can advise about engines, making bits, how they work, etc. But there will come a day when you want a boiler. That's a whole new ball game! Not an easy subject to master properly. I'm still learning after more than 25 years since I made my first.....
Hope the real steam projects stir your interest.
But whatever you do, it is a hobby, so enjoy it! No pressure - except inside boilers!
K2

Ed M

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Loren,
the 2 engines I have are the single beam ones in this view.....https://www.stuartmodels.com/item/43/stuart-beam-unmachined
I am hoping to find parts for the one incomplete engine which I'm sure will be an opportunity to learn a lot about this hobby....:)
Ed

LorenOtto

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Loren,
the 2 engines I have are the single beam ones in this view.....https://www.stuartmodels.com/item/43/stuart-beam-unmachined
I am hoping to find parts for the one incomplete engine which I'm sure will be an opportunity to learn a lot about this hobby....:)
Ed
Ed, Stuart Models has been very good in the past with offering replacement parts - good luck.

ajoeiam

Reaction score
Whilst others are welcoming you to the forum I'd like to welcome you to the addiction - - - making - - - tools - - - - might also add that this forum is (blushing) sorta like a nuthouse - - - - we get to push each other even goofier - - - - (LOL) you do know how it goes with them there addictions to 'toys' (some sure ain't!!).
May you live long - - - and 'make'!!! (Hope your wife isn't reading this - - - - wacky grin!!)