Newbie machinists: read this

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe d

Reaction score
Hi all.. especially newbies like me

If you have read over the other threads in the team builds you might, like me, be a little intimidated by the degree of expertise some of the guys are bringing to this project. Heres where I get to say DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. Participating in the process has let me work with a great bunch of guys, and perhaps more importantly, has forced me to become a little better of a machinist. Now that I have finished my parts heres a few thoughts:
I have had to work to the drawing, instead of compensating for error in the mating part (the great thing about one-offs that you are building all of yourself :big:). This provides several positive results: I certainly understand my machinery better, consequently I will be able to do better work on my future projects, and have gained a certain degree of confidence in my own abilities as well.

I can't recommend any better course of action than jumping in on one of these team builds.... and even more, at the end you've got a nice engine that you might never have otherwise built!

Cheers, Joe

Here here, Joe!

Thank you for your posting. I too have found this a great learning experience and one I would recommend to anyone. Get involved in a Team Build. It's fun!

Cheers,

BW

Hey Joe! I am glad to hear that. ;D that is one of the main reasons I wanted us to do team builds. There is the option to get an engine you otherwise wouldn't build. Plus as you said, it is a great learning experience. I am glad you like doing this.

Eric

Joe at some point we all began with a nervous pull on a feed lever.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.
Your statements are priceless in this arena.

Rick

Back