Newbie from Virginia

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd-ss

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
After months of stumbling around the internet, I finally found HMEM! Thank you, thank you. I have been looking for you, and didn't even know it.
Airguns have been my passion for over 10 years, and I love the science and the building more than the shooting. But building a not too small model diesel engine has always been in the back of mind. An unresolved discontent. Then several months ago I found Find Hansen's lovely engines. Well, that did it. I am a decent hobby machinist, but solid how-to information on building a diesel engine was tough to find. I had resolved myself to the fact that it was going to be a learn-as-you-go experience. But even with all the dead ends, learning is always good. I started making a flywheel from a short piece of 8" steel pipe that I had. I figured if I got thru that, I'd have too much invested to call it quits.
Then today I was trying to find info about crankshaft balancing and ran across an old thread on this forum, and thought, WOW, these guys are pretty sharp!
So I think you've snagged me. The flywheel that is still in process is in the avatar, I hope.
I've done some tech videos about airguns under the name of Airgun Lab on YouTube, so I know the challenges that diesel pressures present. But learning is what its all about. I look forward to learning from, and participating in, HMEM.
Thank you, Lloyd-ss

Looking at that flywheel, I'd say that "Decent hobby machinist" is a pretty accurate description! Good to have you on board Lloyd. Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter. Of course, you notice that it is not a close-up, LOL.
I have a question about flywheel rotation. When flywheels have curved spokes, I always thought they should rotate such that the spokes in the picture go clockwise. Too me they look "cooler" and faster, kinda blown back, that way. Are there proper conventions for direction of rotation for the spokes? If that flywheel were actually on an engine and you were facing the engine, it would normally rotate CW, correct?

I agree that, to me, the "correct" rotation would be CW when looking at the picture but I suppose design stylists might disagree
Reverse Sheer.jpeg
Every time I see a reverse sheer bow on a ship it just looks wrong. I think your flywheel rotating CCW would have the same effect.

Hmmm. Looks like they copied the design of the Merrimac from the civil war. A bit behind on the technology. The 1949 Studebaker Starlight had an odd coming and going look to it, but the '53 was gorgeous.

After poking around on the various forums, it looks like the "A Work In Progress" forums where I should post once I get this underway. Does that sound right?
Thanks,
Lloyd

Latest posts

Back